O/t I Got Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

O/t I Got Questions

I am moving back to the charleston SC area here in late june. i had planned on flying and then shipping my stuff. i have a street bike that i love very much and i was going to pay to ship that too, my dad suggested that we ride together, from seattle washington to charleston sc. My question is that i have a 1997 kawasaki vulcan 500. it is excellent condition and only has 4600 miles on it. i havent had any problems with it since i purchased it and i am wondering if you guys think this bike is big enough to make it accross the country? i am not planning on hauling ass. i wil be taking my time and not exceding the 65 or 70 mph speed limit. if i do this it will be very well planned out and we will be taking th southern route to get to our destination, and will be camping most of the way.

97 TJ SPORT...2" SKYJACKER LIFT KIT, 30X9.50X15 BFG ALL TERRAINS, BLACK STEELIES, SAIL CLOTH SOFT TOP, SONY MARINE GRADE BOAT STEREO.

97 CHEROKEE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Go for it. You only get one shot at living. And to make the trip with your dad makes it a real bonus. Don't think twice about it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The 500 is a decent bike....

It's boderline for me as far as power goes....my last bike was a Suzuki GS1100...so I'm a bit spoiled.

Is your dad riding on it with you? Or is he going ride his own bike? Solo, you will be fine....2 adults and you will need to avoid pushing it on hills....the running time is not what wears it out....it's the loading....just make sure you use the gears right and keep the RPM's up.

About the only concern with 2 people on the same bike is how do you carry the clothes you will need? You are looking at a 7-8 day ride at a min...long time to go in the same clothes.

I wouldn't pass up the chance for that ride....it's a lot of but time...plan on keeping your days to about 400 miles or so. Take plenty of pictures so us old farts can envy you.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

my dad weighs about twice as much as me so he rides a 1500 vulcan. i dont knwow if i would want to ride on a bike with 2 people that far. i just cant wait to drive my jeep again. i am going through major withdraws.

97 TJ SPORT...2" SKYJACKER LIFT KIT, 30X9.50X15 BFG ALL TERRAINS, BLACK STEELIES, SAIL CLOTH SOFT TOP, SONY MARINE GRADE BOAT STEREO.

97 CHEROKEE SPORT
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Old Hand

dude that is a once in a lifetime ride...DO IT. if you dont you will wish you did for the rest of your life!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Veteran

A buddy of mine rode his Honda Shadow Aero from Indiana to Sturgis two yeas ago ans STILL talks about what a blast he had. Do it and then get on the board here and share your experiences with us...just to make us jealous!

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Way Outta Control

If you take your time the trip will be remembered in family stories for three generations. It's a tirp that will live for the next 100 years in your family. If you don't take the trip... you'll be missing an experiec that can never be recouped.

Ride slow, take lots of detours, take lots of pictures, keep a diary of the trip, and watch out for those who don't watch out for you.

Most important of all, live to tell the tale to your great-grandkids!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

An option is to use fedex or UPS for your clothes/stuff. Just ship to a local office and have them hold it for you. Empty the box of fresh stuff, put the old stuff in, and ship it back. That way you don't need to carry 8 days worth of clothes/waste time at a washateria.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode