Getting to Know Your Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Getting to Know Your Jeep

A lot of the questions on this board are generated because someone thinks something is wrong with their jeep....with one of the common ones being how hot is too hot.

I'm a firm believer in getting under the jeep and looking at things...taking pictures..etc. When I did my SBC swap, it took plenty of pics of the jeep as I tore it apart...those came in handy as I started putting it back together.

Now that the swap is done and I'm driving it, I need to figure out my baseline...in other words, what is ok and what is not. I changed a lot of things and I want to make sure that I'm not running borderline on something.

Take this morning...I hooked up my OBDI scanner and monitored my engine temp while I drove to work. I did both fwy and city streets and I did not turn on my electric fan. I realized real quick that the engine has the wrong t-stat in it...on the fwy it never got over 184. I can tell when the t-stat opens because I get a warm blast of up up through the big hole where the tranny is. This 186 might explain why I think my MPG is not where I thought it should be. It was also good to see that I never got over 200 deg on the street while sitting at lights and the fan not running...it also means that my stock CJ temp gauge is basically about right.

I am also carrying around a 2 gal jug of gas...and letting my tank run dry...I want to see where my gas gauge really reads when I run out of gas....and I want to see how well that electric fuel pump mounted on the frame rail will operate at these low fuel levels...including re-priming the fuel system when I run out.

All part of getting to know my jeep......

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Way Outta Control

However... the siphon tube best be up off the bottom of the tank or you can suck debris into the fuel pump and cause it to die... a common problem with electronic fuel pumps (unless...like mine... you filter the fuel before it gets to the pump).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My filter is after the fact....but the tank is clean and I have a good screen on the pickup...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump and Filter Small.jpg (84.0 KB, 4 views)

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode