Pride aside......need gear help, please. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Pride aside......need gear help, please.

I traded many birthday and Christmas coupons from brother for 4.10 gears and a bearing kit. Situation: Never done gears before. So what do I need to know before I do this? Yes I used the search but found nothing. Is there a manual or instruction guide? No instructions in the boxes. Are there any "tricks" that make the job easier?
jeep is a 91 yj, 4.0L, standard, 33x12.5R15 tires, 4"suspension lift. Pride aside, any words of wisdom, knowledge and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Veteran

Try this Tread: https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...-troubles.html for some good links. And this link on POR Pirate4x4.com - The largest off roading website in the world.

That said, I am going to try to talk you out of this, If it still seems like a good Idea then Go for it. If you secced you will learn a lot, however this is not for the faint of heart, there is a lot to this.

I have Done a lot of wrenching. Multiple, Carberator Rebuilds, Transmission Fixing's, and been deeply involved in several Engine Rebuilds. Not to mention Lots of Milling Machine and Lathe work holding dimensions to the 1/1000 of an inch. I was very familiar with accurate measuring tools as a result of the Machining and Engine rebuilds. I thought all this had prepared me to do Gear Swaps. I was Nearly wrong.

In the end I managed to get the gears done correctly, but It took much longer then expected and I nearly gave up once or twice. Again this is not for the inexperienced.

If this still seems like a good idea read the links in the post above, several times. Learn all the terms for the parts of the gears. This will help you ask questions here if things go wrong. It is very hard to answer questions about gears if the asker is making up there own terms as they go along. Using standard terms helps a lot.

At minimum you will need $150 dollars in tools above and beyond a well equipped tool kit. Read the links mentioned to figure out exactly what you need.

You will also need a clean place to work, where you can take your time. And this many take a lot of time. It will likely be necessary to do your first axle over several days. My first took about 20 hours, just to install the gears. The second Took about 10. On both I encountered unexpected problems that with luck will not happen to you. Given what I have learned if everything went well it would take me at least 5 hours from the time the axle shafts were out and the cover came off till it went back one and the shafts could go in.

I would also advise a good steady assistant to provide encouragement and support. This good gets very stressful the first time though and I would not will to try it alone on my first try. I know I would likely have failed with out My buddy there to help.

Unless you have a lift that will let you work comfortably while standing under the Jeep, and you can leave the jeep on the lift indefinitely, I would recommend removing the axle. To do the actual set up on a Large work bench.

There are many tricks I have learn for this job but until you have some more background knowledge they will not mean much.

Again, I do not recommend a you do this yourself unless you have experiance in precision measuring, and lots of time doing successful wrenching on parts requiring careful attention to detail, IE Carberator, Engine and Transmission rebuilds.

Let use Know what you decide to do.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Go to Yukon Gears: Yukon Gear & Axle. DownLoads.

Download thier installation instructions. They are pretty thourogh.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Trade in some more birthday and xmas coupons and pay someone to do it.....
I've done it....toasted the first set.....so, the way I see it, the cost of the fist set of gears would have paid for the labor.......

There is not much I won't do myself.....but I consider auto tranny's and gears to be something worth paying someone else for....I have better things to do with my time.....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Building a rear is not a hard thing to do. It just take experience to make it go fast and easy.

Ive built few hundred rears. All the shops in my area would bring there busted rears to my old job for us to build. The first one i did, i felt like a toddler trying to put a square peg in the round hole.

Unless you have someone that has done a bunch of them standing over your shoulder helping you do it. Dont try it alone.

Setting up gears can drive someone nutty.

There are tricks that make it go easy, and the tools can be pricey.

If you still want to try it yourself. Be prepared to spend a weekend just to setup one rear. That doesnt includes taking it apart and cleaning it. Start with the front, the front doesnt drive all the time and if you are a little off, you really will never know.

What????
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

I've done several sets, it's easy once you've done it you just need patience. Best bet is to find some one that's done it to either stand around, drink beer and give advice or have them do the first set and explain it to you.

Tool wise you need hand tools and you'll really want an impact wrench to do the pinion nut, torque wrench, and a micrometer, something to cut off the old bearings, a couple pieces of pipe to pound on bearings and something to make setup bearings. Those are the real basics and that's setting back lash and preload by feel which isn't recomended, i've done it and had good luck. Ideally you also what either a bearing puller or bearing seperator and press, dial indicator, inch pound beam torque wrench.

I don't know you but if your asking how to set up gears I'd make sure you have the right tools and a good "teacher". Once you get more experiance there are lots of ways to make it easier. Gears are like welding you have to get experiance to get good at them. After you figure them out they are really simple...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode