Ref: How to replace the windshield on a Jeep CJ
Further explanations and help:
Jeep Windshield Replacement (Windshield Frame Installed On Vehicle)
1. Remove mirror (bracket can stay on windshield-see later step), visors, defroster vanes.
2. From the outside with a sharp knife remove the portion of the windshield seal that holds the windshield glass in by cutting at about a 120 degree angle to the glass near the frame into seal to find the edge of the glass. Remove this strip of seal to reveal edge of glass.
3. From the inside starting at a corner slowly push glass forward just enough to separate the glass from the seal. Work slowly and carefully around perimeter of glass. When glass is completely free of seal remove the glass and seal from vehicle.
4. Clean and restore flange with rust converter or evaluate windshield frame for replacement.
5. Install new seal onto replacement glass. The sealís exterior ribs are offset toward the interior of the vehicle. Apply a piece of tape on to replacement glass and appropriately mark inside and up on tape. Take a 3/8Ē x 15í woven nylon rope and install in the sealís windshield frame flange gap by butting the two ends together at the top center of the seal and pushing as far in as possible. Work rope around both sides of the top of the seal, down both sides, and across toward the middle of the bottom of the seal. You should have a loop of rope at the bottom of the windshield glass/seal assembly.
6. Move windshield glass/seal/rope assembly to windshield frame. Pass rope loop through windsheild opening into vehicle. Press windshield evenly as far into frame recess as possible. Starting with one side of the rope loop, pull rope as close to the glass as possible toward the center of the windshield. What should happen is that the rope should pull the sealís windshield frame lip to the inside of the vehicle onto the inside of the flange. If this doesnít happen you need to reseat the rope into the seal and get someone to help by pushing slightly on the outside of the seal forcing the glass/seal assembly further into the recess. When the seal does start coming into the inside of the flange work the ropes toward each lower corner of the windshield. Be watchful of the seal getting caught on a sharp section of the flange and the seal tearing. Sometimes working the rope in a circular motion helps the seal climb onto the flange. Pull each rope a little at a time alternating sides. Finally when each end of the rope is out it may be necessary to take a scribe or hook and finish pulling the seal onto the flange.
7. From the outside carefully push on the seal of the windshield glass/seal assembly to seat it as far as you can into the windshield frameís recess.
8. A judicious amount of RTV is recommended for gap filling and a little extra help to keep water out from any possible seam.
9. Reinstall all on the stuff you took off. If the old glass is intact stand it on its edge and take a sharp knife to get inside rear view mirror bracket off of glass. Carefully take a screw drive and hammer and hit the bracket as parallel to the glass as possible to try and shear the glue joint