buying a vehicle that has no title? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Question buying a vehicle that has no title?

anyone ever buy a vehicle that doesnt have a title?

theres a cj3 or maybe its a 2.....i dont know.....but its cheap...it runs....and looks like poop

i want it, but the guy doesnt have a title (still waiting to hear if he's got other documentation)

what did it take for you to get a title on a vehicle if the owner didn't have one?

it would be mostly for trail, but it might see some street time, so it would need a plate....prolly get antique plates if possible since they are cheaper..

thanks!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Old Hand

I don't know how to title a vehicle if there is not title available. However, I would try to do a VIN search to see if anything odd pops up. -- Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

I would have the VIN ran on it before buying it just to make sure. Your tag office will be your best sorce because every state is different. It can be done but if you're in a hurry to have a tiltle, don't bother with it because it takes time and some frustration. Im getting ready to file for one myself and Im not looking forward to it. Sometimes buy running the VIN and track down the last registered owner and if they are not sour about who and how they sold the jeep, you might be able to work something out with them on getting a title but that can turn into a sticky situation sometimes. I use to have my dad put a impound bill on them that was so rediculous that they didn't even want to bother with trying to get the vehicle back.
I geuss what Im trying to say is, if they don't have the title, It was either truly lost or somebody got the shaft on a deal where they didn't get paid in full !!!! A lot of times vehicles get towed and sit in a impound yard and you would be surprised how many people don't feel the car is worth retrieving. Like I said above, have the VIN ran and if it checks out good then talk to the tag office on what kind of title you need to get. Lost, Salvage, or abandoned, etc.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

actually....strange story......

i got a hold of the guy and asked him where he got it that it didn't have a title....

he says he got it from some monastery ..... turns out that the monastery is the one attached to my old high school (catholic school) and it was the grounds jeep they used for just about everything around the Abbey.....

i know the Abbey's mechanic, Peter, because he let me use the abbey garage when i needed to work on my first jeep back in high school.

so i called him and left him a message to call me back and let me know....

the monk who used to drive it around all the time was a WWII veteran and i think he may have bought it from a surplus place after the war, and when he joined the monastery he brought the jeep and gave it to the abbey....

now i want it even more, simpley because i know the history on it.......and i know where i can get more details on it

and at least i know its not stolen

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 PM

Lost Car Title, No Car Title at All, We Can Help! - Broadway Title Company

EDIT: I have never used this service, it doesn't work here in Hawaii(and a few other states), some of the Hod Rod guys I know use it.

Last edited by W.C.; 05-19-2007 at 07:57 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Depends on your state and how long the vehicle has been setting (Not Plated)...

Over here in Indiana, you will need to drop by the license branch and pick up a couple of things.
One is a BMV version of a bill of sale.
The other is an affidavit. When you don't have a title, the seller has to fill out an affidavit and an official bill of sale.

If the last guy that had a title on it wanted to (And will cooperate) you can throw him a few bucks for a duplicate title, and for a few bucks more, you can have a 'Rush Duplicate' done (extra $10 here).

If not, you are going to have to go the affidavit & bill of sale route...
And a regular bill of sale won't do, you have to use the form from the BMV.

If it's been more than ten years since it was last plated, you are fine, all you need is a bill of sale.

Last edited by Junk Yard Genius; 05-19-2007 at 08:15 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

What if the previous owner is deceased?????? and you can't get a bill of sale and the vehicle hasn't been regestered or tagged in thirty years ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode