HELP! Need longer wheel studs. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thumbs up HELP! Need longer wheel studs. SOLUTION!

I waited as the Mickey Thompson DC-1 wheels I wanted were backordered and finally had an opportunity to have the installed yesterday. Because these are aluminum and not steel the mounting flange is thicker, making it impossible for the lug nuts to get started, let alone tightened to any kind of acceptable torque.

If you haven't noticed, the front CJ studs are a strange breed that the parts guys can't find. Even I wne through the entire line up in-stock and couldn;t find a thing that would work. The rears are more straight forward and should be easier to find, but I'm stuck on the fronts.

I really want this thing done for the weekend. Any tips or tricks out there. Beings how the Jeep studs are fairly short anyway, I can't believe that thi is the first time this has come up... but I can't find anything searching.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. I'm so close to being finished, but keep running into snags with things that should be "bolt on" and go.

Is this the only hammer you've got?

Last edited by jdoggmoney; 05-18-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Check with the parts store or a different parts store. If you find a good parts guys they will pull out the book and find something that will work. This is what you get for buying bling...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Skip the DumbZone. The Napa store here had them on the shelf.
Dorman is the manufacture, PN 610106 is what I used but you may need something else .... but it's a place to start.

good luck

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300 w/Tera 4:1 Kit, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, HEI, Ft disc, MC 2100,Dents, Mud & Rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:14 PM

NAPA and CarQuest will never fail you for those hard-to-find parts. Also check a salvage yard for another CJ with modified studs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Solved!! I went back today and after some more careful measuring we found a Dorman application for front and rear.

So if anyone else runs into this, Dorman part number 610227 will work for the fronts, and is between 1/2 to 3/4 longer than stock.

I have a import rear disc set up, but Dorman part number 610290 worked well, The knurl is a little longer and I had to drill out my rotors to 5/8" to fit over the knurl. With stock drum brakes the drum would have to be drilled out, but it's super easy. These are almost a full inch longer than stock.

Thanks for the replies... with a little luck I'll FINALLY be able to post a pic of the finished build tomorrow...

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode