5-Speed to 6-Speed Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

5-Speed to 6-Speed Conversion

Here's another TJ question. One of my buddies rolled his 2005 TJ 4.0L in Tennessee and since he bought it used w/o a loan, he didn't have collision insurance on it, so he's parting out what wasn't damaged. One of those few things not damaged was the 6-speed tranny, clutch, and shifter. I wanted to know if that would fit in my 1997 TJ 4.0L without any modifications, or if there are, how much has to be modified. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i dont know for sure...but if its also a 4.0L....it should work as long as you get the bell housing with it.....might want to get the clutch slave cylinder while you are at it....

i dont think there would be a difference with the transmission output..but i'd check to make sure the splines are the same so you can re-use the t-case....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If it were me I would buy from the bell back including the shifter and boot, trsanny, t case, whatever is left of the shafts weather dammaged or not and swap it out.

I am a fan of spare parts though. If there was an improvement over the 231 which I don't know if ther was in 2005, Great, if it is just the standard 231 then you have a repair box sitting in the shop.

Worst mod I can see is if the shafts are a diffrent length due to the diffrent tranny, worst case have them cut or lengthened, that is a minimal mod, If the t case is diffrent and you can swap it in it is an upgrade,. but I think that has a 231 in it. There are mods in every swap even same for same,, but you are swaping within the same body, engine style,,, I think it would be relativly simple provided everything is in working order.

What is wrong with the 5 speed?

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.

Last edited by Rio_Grande; 05-17-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
If it were me I would buy from the bell back including the shifter and boot, trsanny, t case, whatever is left of the shafts weather dammaged or not and swap it out.

I am a fan of spare parts though. If there was an improvement over the 231 which I don't know if ther was in 2005, Great, if it is just the standard 231 then you have a repair box sitting in the shop.

Worst mod I can see is if the shafts are a diffrent length due to the diffrent tranny, worst case have them cut or lengthened, that is a minimal mod, If the t case is diffrent and you can swap it in it is an upgrade,. but I think that has a 231 in it. There are mods in every swap even same for same,, but you are swaping within the same body, engine style,,, I think it would be relativly simple provided everything is in working order.

What is wrong with the 5 speed?
Nothing's wrong with mine other than I think a syncronizer is going bad for reverse gear. Mine is the AX-15. I just wanted the 6-speed to have the extra gear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Drain an refill that ax15 with syncromesh and that grind will likely go away. Mine was going out 40000 mi ago. after putting the syncromesh in it was fine until just recently when it started again. I bet if I change the fluid again it would stop for a while. It is a cheap fix for a mispublished service manual that told us to put gl5 in the trannies but in fact gl5 has sulpher in large enough quantity to break down the brass syncros in your ax15 and my ax5. I changed my oil 2x a year from day one and at 60000 mi had syncros start wearing out. Happy,,,,, So much for preventative maintence.

Gl3 is the correct fluid, but the syncromesch is a bit thicker which helps the syncros go back to working with the rest of the gearset.

Intresting...

Would still be a cool swap.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Old Hand

issue #5 of Jrations has an artical on doing the swap. according to them:
"a jeep with a 4.0 and eather a NV-231 or NV241OR Rock-trac its more or less a bolt in. because the bellhousing is integral with the tras case. its not easily adapted to older units. its rated for 272 lbs-ft of torque."
He wouldnt happen to have a center console (the two cup holder one with the key shut off for the pass airbag?) Id be intorested in buying that.
Good Luck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunky View Post
issue #5 of Jrations has an artical on doing the swap. according to them:
"a jeep with a 4.0 and eather a NV-231 or NV241OR Rock-trac its more or less a bolt in. because the bellhousing is integral with the tras case. its not easily adapted to older units. its rated for 272 lbs-ft of torque."
He wouldnt happen to have a center console (the two cup holder one with the key shut off for the pass airbag?) Id be intorested in buying that.
Good Luck
Mine is the NP231, I believe. I haven't seen under a six-speed one yet, so I am not sure about the T-case.
As for the console, it's gone. It was actually cracked in the wreck. He got sideswiped on the freeway and flipped. When he flipped, the jack that he had in the back floorboard flew up and cracked the back of it. Sorry man. He told me that all he has left is what I'm wanting. He's waiting for me to find out if it'll work with mine, otherwise, he already has someone else lined up if it doesn't. The rig was pretty much destroyed, so there was not much to salvage.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Old Hand

o well, thanks thanks though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Official Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnGreg View Post
....it should work as long as you get the bell housing with it.....
The 6 speed doesn't have a separate bell housing, it is part of the transmission case.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
The 6 speed doesn't have a separate bell housing, it is part of the transmission case.
So basically it will work with what I have now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode