Tranny Swap 88YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Tranny Swap 88YJ

I know your all probably very suprised that I want to swap out my Original peugot french junk tranny for something that works right...

This is a good question for Leve If he's still around...I kind of disappeared for awhile and now I'm back...forum has moved...logon is still the same I will figure it all out with time.

I am looking to replace my fantastic french tranny with something that is a direct bolt in 5 speed or a chevy automatic like a turbo 350 or 400. Leaning towards the auto because I am getting married in 4 months and will want to have kids and the wife will need to be able to drive the jeep also. (she has her own car also) but you never know.

Anyone know what is the least rediculous and least expensive way to go about this tranny swap? I know some of you have been through this before

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
chris.

God invented whisky to keep the Irish from ruling the world [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Having just recently gone to an auto....I'll never go back...it's so nice to be able to get onto the fwy and drink a cup of coffee at the same time...(the small pleasures of life)....

I would suggest going with a jeep auto...I think the TF999 is an example...that way you don't need adapter plates which will require that you shorten the ds.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I had that thought as well...arent there some newer Wranglers out there like maybe 91 that has the 258 and an automatic tranny? and wouldnt that tranny bolt right in using the original drive shaft? and work perfectly well with the stock transfer case and gear ratios.

God invented whisky to keep the Irish from ruling the world [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My 88 YJ is an auto from the factory, so you should be able to accomplish it fairly easily.

The issues you may encounter, and might want to research, are:

1) The input to the transfer case might be a different spline - I forget the details.
2) I have heard that the driveshafts are slightly different lengths from the standard tranny to the auto -- all of an inch or 2, but might be enough to cause you trouble.
3) You'll need a kickdown linkage, etc -- a nice junkyard jeep with a factory auto should give you all you could need.

Gears -- my Jeep had 3.07 gears from the factory. 258 Auto. I would think a late CJ7 would be able to provide some parts - like the carb linkage - it's the same jeep.

Good luck!
Pete (who is glad he bought an auto when he got his jeep, even though he didn't know that the standard trannys were crap at the time.)

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I've had this Jeep for 2 years now and I knew this was going to happen and have been expecting it. My french tranny is stuck in 4th gear and wont budge, I know I can probably fix it but have reservations about doing so. I dont want to put a bandaid on a problem that will just keep growing. I want to replace it now and be done with it while its already broken hehe. Junkyard jeep sounds like a good Idea to start with. maybe I can steel the column shifter if I do that also
as far as drive shaft issues and splines matching up on the transfer case...I was hoping maybe there was someone who has done this exact swap before who might know what problems I am going to run into...I'm only sure that there will be many hehe

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM

I have the same situation with my 87 YJ. So I'm listening intently.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Addict

So far I have priced out a package at the Advanced Adapter web site for 2500 bucks I can get a brand new NV3550 Tranny with all the adapters to make it "bolt in". The company offers no description or picture of the product or the adapters. Here on Quadratec I assume is the same kit for 4 hundred bucks more but theres a more detailed description. Its alot of money for a transmission swap but my grumpy old rusty heap is worth it. I am calling Advance Adapters tomorrow to see if I can buy just the Kit without the tranny...and if they make a kit to adapt a chevy 700R4 gm tranny or some other automatic. I will know alot more by end of day tomorrow. My Jeep makes me happy...its time to return the favor.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Cherokees are another source for transmissions and are plentiful at the local you pull it.

Political Correctness - Because people can't handle the Truth
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjohn View Post
Cherokees are another source for transmissions and are plentiful at the local you pull it.
its the putting it in the truck part that worries me...I really dont have time for trial and error... I need to spend a predetermined amount of money and have a direct bolt in situation and I will be damned if I put another peugot tranny in.
What I found out today is that I could put together my own package for a th350 install using an assortment of parts from advance adapters, a tranny from tci and a b&m shifter for about 2353.00 shipped. would be direct bolt in kit with everything I need

OR:

I could get A remanufactured NV3550 tranny with everything I need to bolt it in for about 27-2800 shipped.

difference so far is that 5 speed is expensive...with cheap adapters and automatic tranny is cheap...with expensive adapters.
either way its a nice chunk.
think I'm going auto.

same price almost to do a 700R4 tranny also. just slightly more expensive tranny.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

For about $300 you can get a used TF999 with a NP231 already behind it and drop it in there. You will have to lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear (about 3 inches each). kick down linkage (junkyard, maybe $25). B&M shifter (pick one, $150-$400). A weekend under your Jeep, priceless

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode