Selling the CJ5 - buying a TJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Selling the CJ5 - buying a TJ?

Hi all

I have a 1976 CJ5 with a bowtie 350, TH350, D300, 35x15.50-15 TSL/SX's, 12x15 wheels and so on. Complete frame u resto 5 years ago. (se pic)

I'm thinking about selling it and buying a 1997-2002 TJ 4.0L.
My reason for swap'in Jeeps:

1: don't have the same amount of time as I used to, because I have opened a Jeep parts dealership here in Denmark, Europe.

2: The comfort of a hardtop, good heater and lower noise levels appeals to me (maybe I'm getting older)

3: I want a year-round Jeep. The '5 is great in the summer, but lacks qualities in the winter

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Pro's and con's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Very nice looking jeep......

For the reasons you stated...yea, it's a good idea....though it will take some time and money to get the TJ up to the off-road level of you CJ5.....BUT, once you get there, you will actually be ahead of the game.....

The coil suspension is much better than leafs...
The 4.0 FI engine is a strong beast..
The longer wheel base is a bit more road worthy.
Creature comforts as you noted.

The key now is to find someone there to give you what the CJ is worth....

BTW....how did you find the 350 over there?

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nobody is going to like this, but it is true.

Tj is a totaly diffrent animal than the 5. It will be more stable in some situations and less in others. Disconnect the sway bar on the tj and it will outpreform many built rigs.

All and all the tj is superior and for the reasons you mentioned I would make the swap. I did and love fuel injection and availbility of parts is great.

An example is: no time to prep the jeep for the bash this week, but barring some strange circumstance ai have no doubts that I can put it on the trailer and wheel all weekend without issues. My old cj of many years ago was in great shape, but often left you sitting for the strangest reasons.

Jeff

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:52 PM

IMO, Buy the TJ , keep the CJ, and have both. That CJ would be a great promotional tool for your new venture, put you store logo on it and I would guess that it would draw much more attention then a TJ, even more so in your country.
I have nothing against TJ's, I like almost all Jeep.

I have 1 TJ, 1 YJ, 2 CJ5s, 1 CJ2a, 2 Jeepsters and a Commando

BTW, Nice CJ5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Addict

they would have to bury me in that truck when I died...

God invented whisky to keep the Irish from ruling the world [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

First of all: thank you for all your answers. It confirmed me in my decision. Now I just have to fnd the right person with the right kind of money. My guess is, that I could sell the '5 for app. 33000$. Yup, they are rare and expensive over here. For example, a '7 in no more than drivable condition sells for 13000$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDawg View Post
Very nice looking jeep......

BTW....how did you find the 350 over there?

THe 350's are actually very common over here. But of course, not as common as in the states. Mine is a 1985 block with all the good internals. Balanced and blueprinted. The guy that build it, put it in his 1960 Corvette. That was a one fast Corvette! I bought for 15000kr (app. 2000$), so the 350's aren't so expensive over here. I once bought a 454BBC from the states. It was loaded onto a crate and shipped by ocean. It took 4-5 weeks before it landed at my doorstep.

When ever a 350 TBI or TPI is offered for sale over here, it's sold right away. People love the injection and cheap parts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Veteran

Logically yes this is a good idea for the reasons you state. However, you are not considering the emotions that many of use start to feel for our Jeeps. I made the same mistake.

The old CJ7 was rusted out, the seats were literally falling through the floor. The engine had major scratches on the crank shaft. The Frame was soft in places, and the rear axle still had 2 piece shafts, the transmission was making noise in reverse and the front ring gear had chipped off most of the outer corners of the teeth. About the only thing that was in good shape was the Dana 300 transfer case.

I looked at it and my plans to to a SOA, 4 speed truck transmission, Dana 44 front, one piece shafts or Dana 44 rear, Rebuilt 258 with 4.0 head or complete 4.0, EFI using Mega-squirt or 4.0 MPI. And said why do all of that work and still have to fix the frame and get a new body.

So I sold it and got a 95 YJ. Logically this was the right thing to do. Better engine, Frame and Body, and I could still to all the other improvements. Not to mention Better heat. However, every time I see CJ I feel sad I sold the Old 7, and wish I still was driving her.

So to answer your question. Yes, it is a Good Idea, But you will regret it!

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Way Outta Control

I'd also keep it for promotional "business" reasons, but then sometimes you can only do.. what you can do. I just hope that the next owner will keep it and use it like you have... and appreciate it for another 31 years. It will make someone a class ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode