Questions on an upgrade to the Ford 8.8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Questions on an upgrade to the Ford 8.8

My son is picking up the axle this week and we are getting started. It's going in his 95 YJ. What are the pros/cons of limited slip diff versus lockers on the rear? And what is limited slip? Since the donor axle is a 97 it should have disk brakes, 4:10 gears and probably limited slip. Patience please, I'm still learning.

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 63-CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the gears and limited slip were options......i dont think 100% of axles had them....depends on the donor vehicle.

you want to find one that matches your gear ratio up front so you can use 4wd....if you ahve a 4cylinder engine (2.5L) you will need the 4.10 if you have factory gears up front.

my axle came from a 97 explorer and was an open differential. I (actually knifeboy-nick pushed me out of the way and did it cuz i wasnt fast enough) installed an aussie locker into it which made it locked.

limited slip allows some difference in speed between the two wheels....a full locker will "lock" the two wheels together so they are forced to turn at the same rate. limited slip is easier on the street, but a locker is superior offorad.

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM

A limited slip diff has clutches that are squeezed together by the drive torque applied to the wheels. When the clutches are squeezed together tight enough the diff is locked. On the street when you go around a turn the outside wheel tries to get ahead of the inside wheel. That releases the pressure on the clutches and lets it roll ahead.

In low-traction situations the tires can't get enough grip to lock the clutches, so the diff behaves as if it were a conventional open unit, They're not much good in mud, soft sand or snow.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

It sounds like limited slip is not good especially since northern Utah has plenty of snow packed roads. I don't know what is on the axle he bought. It is supposedly in excellent condition and has the right gear ratio but I haven't seen it yet.

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 63-CJ5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lockers can make driving in the snow a challenge ..... makes you more prone to drifting through corners than with an open differential

or at least so was my experience with them....

so you have to drive pretty carefully around corners.....coast through instead of powering through.

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM

A limited slip on snow can be tricky too. Give it a little power in a turn and it straightens up. Still more power and the back will break loose and go sideways very quickly.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Depending on what you want to do with the axle, determines what type of axle you want to get. If you want to put in a "lunch-box locker", like a lock-right, you will need an open-diff. As I understand it, a lock-right tpye locker will not fit in a limited slip carrier.

Also, I'm not sure how much you know about the 8.8 -- it is a floating-brake-caliper design, which means you need a flex line from each caliper to the axle, and then a hard-line that joins the 2 calipers, and then the flex line to the main rear brake line on the jeep. There are various ways you can go to acheive this, and probably lots of different articles on the web on which parts to get - factory ford, aftermarket, etc.

Also, you will need e-brake cables too, if you are going to run an e-brake. Again, some use factory Ford, some use aftermarket.

My 8.8 is a 4.10 gear, open diff, with a lock-right. Been back there for 6 years or so now I think. I lose track.

Good luck.
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Old Hand

the 8.8 is a nice axle!! I would weld the tub to the houseing they can spin. I dont wheel all that hard and i killed my Lock-right in lessthen a yr. Im welded now and its been happy. Alot of people make a big deal about the C-clips but there not bad. First you need to pop the big 31spline shafts and even if you do that the calipers will help hold the axle in.

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thanks Mach2 -- I forgot to mention that -- but I agree. I did weld the tubes to the center section also -- I used 3 welds, about 1 to 1-1/2 inch long each, equally spaced around the tube.

Did it so long ago that it's just not in the front of the brain anymore.

Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode