OT - Bear Hunt Photos - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OT - Bear Hunt Photos

Got back from Alaska last night about 1AM. Still trying to get over the time change.

To give the short story version of my hunt:

Day 1 - Flew from Anchorage to Iliamna then Flew into my spike camp in a Super Cub my guide was dropped off the previous day. Got my things put away in our 8ft x 8ft tent then we went to glass for about 4 hours before it got dark at 11:20PM. We saw absolutely nothing on day one.

Day 2 - Glassed for 14 hours basically the entire country we could see up to about 5 miles as the crow flies. We put about 4 to 5 miles on our boots but saw nothing not even a squirrel.

Day 3 - We saw a sow and a cub about 3.5 miles off. Watched them until they disappeared then proceeded to log some miles on our boots to check out some areas we had not made it too before. We walked about 8 miles over our 14 hour hunting day.

Day 4 - Was very slow not seeing anything until 9PM when we saw a lone bear on the furthest mountain that was hunt able from our camp about 5 miles as the crow flies. Lone Dark bear generally means a mature boar so we got a little excited.

Day 5 - We had an ice storm early that morning keeping us in the tent then the heavy fog set-in cutting our visibility to less than 1/2 mile. The fog finally lifted enough by 1:30PM that we left the tent to hunt. We headed for our highest perch to glass, after about a 3/4 mile climb we stopped to glass and catch our breath. Pete my guide says looks like I found our sow and cub on the same mountain we had seen them on 2 days before. I looked at them for about 5 minutes with no movement and said I wasn't sure it was them but I spotted a dark lone bear walking on the rim of the mountain above them. Pete looked at the bear and I could see he was excited too. Just then the bear bailed off the top of the mountain right for what we thought was the sow and cub and they scattered. It was actually a sow and 2 cubs. The boar chased one of the cubs all the way to the river down below. The bears were about 3.5 miles as the crow flies and we figures about a 5.5 mile hike away. I told Pete I came to hunt hard so we took off at a quick pace to cut the distance. By this time it was already about 3:15PM so we both knew we were committing to an all nighter with this stalk.

We came off our mountain through a saddle and over the top of the second mountain. Then we had to cross a swamp and climb the 3rd mountain. When we hit the 3rd mountain we could see 3 bears bedded in a snow bank. We knew one was the dark bear that came off the ridge because the other 3 were very light blonde bears. We climbed the 3rd mountain to figure the wind and how we would stalk. After an hour of glassing, second guessing ourselves about the bear, etc. I started to pack my stuff back into my pack and Pete said are we going somewhere. I said yep, either to that damn bear or back to the tent because sitting here isn't telling me anything.

I told him it would take us another 1.5 hrs or so to get to the bears so we would be killing the bear around 9PM and I knew we could not make it back to camp before dark and we still had a pretty good river to cross, something no one wants to tackle in the dark. I then said I was ready to go after the bear if he was willing.

So we headed down to the river pulled our boots and pants off then crossed the river. Damn was that cold it was only about 20 yards wide but that was enough because it was all fresh snow run-off.

We had a perfect stalk we gained elevation on a finger straight up-wind of the bears. Then I saw the cub first. I pulled my pack off and as the cub slowly moved away we crawled closer until we could see the boar and sow laying at the edge of the snow bank.

The bear was laying stretched out facing straight down a caribou trail on the mountain. As the sow picked her head up and looked straight at me from 40 yards away I put one shot right behind the front should of the big boar. He jump up and started biting at the wound and I shot him again breaking his back just behind the shoulders. Then I shot him a 3rd time as he rolled down the mountain about 40 more yards.

We took pictures at about 10PM at night. Then skinned the bear out. By the time we had him skinned out it was dark and midnight. The wind was howling and we were spent so we moved all of our stuff about 50 yards up wind of the bear to sleep. We ended up sleeping under the bear hide because the temperature dropped into the low 30's that night. Didn't really get much sleep because every time Pete would snore I jump up and look around and when I'd snore he would do the same. I took us 7 hrs to pack back to camp the next day where we crashed.

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!

Last edited by KentuckyCrawler; 05-12-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

WOW

thats one hell of a trip....definately class that up there in the "once in a life time"

what was your rifle and caliber?

i want to go.......i looked into black bear hunting in a few states but the waiting list for out-of-state permits was toooo long....some as much as 6-8 years.....how long did you wait for your permit?

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Greg,

I ended up taking my 300 Ultramag with me after speeking with my outfitter and guide. They said there was a very good chance we would be shooting 200 - 250 yards and thats kind of out of the raneg of the 416 Rigby I bought.

They were also very confident in that caliber since it is very comparable to a standard 338.

My gun is a Remington model 700 LSS with a Burris 4.4 x 14 fulfield II scope. I was shooting 200 grain Swift A frame bullets. BTW I did pull a bullet out from under the skin on the opposite side of the bear it was from the lung shot. The bullet expanded perferctly with 3ft of penetration. Almost all the guides carry 375H&H and that would be my gun of choice!

I would recommend a (2 x 7) or (1.5 x 5) scope however because some of the walking we did was in alder thickets and thick river bottom cotton woods. My scope would have made a quick shot hard at 4.5x, I would have been shooting down the barrel. Also, on an animal this size 5 or 7 power is plenty at 300 yards and you don't want to shoot that far anyways.

I have put in for Kodiak Island for 3 years without being drawn but this was in unit 17B about 70 miles inland on the Tundra and it was an over the counter tag, but it took us a few years to get scheduled with the outfitter. I used Alaska Big Game Hunting but I would not recommend them because out of 5 hunter I was the only one that got a bear and my guide was not one of there normal guides he was an extra they brought in. I would call Pete direct next time he's the only guide I'd trust in Alaska now!!!!!!!

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

wait...does all this mean you are bringing bear-steaks to the bash ??

If i ever manage to get myself a bear tag somewhere, i'll have to get an appropriate caliber barel for my T/C encore......i know they make .375 and a ton of other calibers too........i have a 45/70 but not sure how that would do ballistically at those ranges, i think they are OK at long range but i lack the info.

-----------
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

way to go,,, That is one fine looking bear... Sounds like a great hunt!

Greg, NC sells their permits over the counter or at least did 5 years ago.

Not to bring up a bunck of crap but if you plan to hunt bear with a single shot you might want to make your peace with god. That backup shot is to save your ass.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
way to go,,, That is one fine looking bear... Sounds like a great hunt! Greg, NC sells their permits over the counter or at least did 5 years ago.
Not to bring up a bunck of crap but if you plan to hunt bear with a single shot you might want to make your peace with god. That backup shot is to save your ass.
Great Bear, Great Story, Great Trip Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine packing out that hide! Bet you wish you had the Crawler with you.

The Guide's job is to "back you up", if you trust him .... single shot is fine.

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300 w/Tera 4:1 Kit, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, HEI, Ft disc, MC 2100,Dents, Mud & Rust.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 PM

That is one BIG ASS BEAR!

Glad to hear things went well for you!
Sounds like you got a guide that was willing to put the miles in to get the trophy!

I look forward to more pictures.
If you need somewhere to give them a home, let me know and I'll host them so all you have to do is post links.

Again, Great looking bear!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Way Outta Control

I see a rug in your future...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks everyone. I had a great time and we had to work for it. I will post more pictures later or if you come to the bash I will have some there.

I am actually going life size mount with this one. A rug would be bigger than my walls. He measured 8'8" nose to tail and 9'8" paw to paw.

I have not decided yet on the form to use but I will most likely have him on all 4's because of the size, but I will look at them all then decide.

The hide and skull are at Alpha Furs in Anchorage getting tanned and bleached.

Greg,
A 45-70 is a powerful round and would do well. We use them to hunt black bear all the time, but I prefer my 35 Remington over it. My friend in California just killed what he thinks will be the new world record Black bear 3 weeks ago with his 45-70. He is waiting on the skull to be measured but he says it will go over 23". Most of this black bear hunting is done behind do at close range in the brush.

I personally am not a fan of a single shot for dangerous game because I don't want to rely on anyone else’s shooting but my own when my life is at risk!!!!!

Most of your black bear hunting in this region is done over bait at close quarters from stands so a single shot should be plenty. Attikokan(sp), Ontario is a good place to bear hunt with Bud's Quetico Country Hunts. (queticocountryhunts.com)

Their bear hunts range from $1100 drop camps, $1500 cabin hunt drive in, $2100 Fly in cabin hunt, and $2700 fully guided. The guided hunt does not include License $350 but it does food and everything else. I hunted moose with this outfit in September and killed a nice bull with my bow.

I can bring you a brochure to the Bash if you are interested.

Brad

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brad...do bring a brochure if you have one......

I like single shot rifles....my encore is one of my favorite guns, and it would definately be my gun of choice..........BUT, i'm dumb enough to go w/o a backup. i have a 44 mag taurus and a 357 mag taurus, and i could get my hands on my brothers super-redhawk in .454....so theres plenty of options there for a backup.

if the distances were under 300 yards i would go with the 45/70...if more i would go for a different caliber...maybe a magnum *edit* of the 7mm family or something..........but like i said....i dont know much about bear hunting...so nothing is set in stone.

an other dream hunt of mine would be Big horn sheep up in the mountains.......ah to dream......

-----------

Last edited by JeepnGreg; 05-13-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode