Rockcrawler suspensions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Rockcrawler suspensions?

Anybody ever heard a company by that name?

Website?

A friend has put an 8" lift on something - I think it's a Cherokee. He's not at all happy with it.
It's 8" - uses just 3 arms in the front (like a conventional long arm but with only one upper arm. And a 3 link triangulated in the rear. The rear hits the gas tank on bounces, and it handles terrible in the street.

I'll see it next week - I haven't had any luck finding that suspension on the internet.
Anybody ever heard of it - a link?

Thanks in advance, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Way Outta Control

I'd question... is it:
  • A 8" lift, or
  • 8" of total lift?
It makes a whole lot of difference...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

I remember for sure now - it is a Cherokee.
8" of suspension lift - there is no body lift as it's unibody. It could even be 8.5".

I remember now declining to weld it for him with his toy welder, and it would be difficult to get it to my shop without any suspension still on it. I suggested he get a pro with a truck mounted welder. I guess he did - I hope he didn't try it with that 110 volt welder!

The difficult thing is you have to weld 3/8" thick steel to the thin sheet metal underbody - upside down! I've installed several RE lifts on them, but in my shop, with my welder - and with all the time I needed! I still don't like doing those. This 8" incher puts lots more strain on the welds, making it more critical.

If you knew who he was you'd understand why it has to be the tallest anybody has - an ego thing.

I think the kit ran near 5 grand or so.

I'm wondering since it's a bad design if there was anything I could do - add to it, modify it, or? But first I need to know something about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Way Outta Control

You're thinking of the RockKrawler longarm kit
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Bingo! That's it - for the want of a "K" instead of a "C"!
Looks kinda pricey for what you get, but looks like it should work OK. I wonder what he did wrong - if there is something wrong?
He's not happy at all - he's thinking of selling it for just over the price of the kit.

I'm surprised it only says 35's can be used too - RE 5.5 use 35's easy. You'd think with 8" it should take 38's, maybe even 40's fine.

I'll see it next week.

Thanks,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't understand why it would hit the gas tank but with that much lift you can't expect to ride good on the streets. I have a land cruiser in the shop with a spring over and shackle reversal that works good offroad but will scare the crap out of you on the highway. Still gotta figure that out!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

They are a reputable company. I have never used their products, but know folks who have them. I have heard of issues, but that happens when ya raise something 8 inches, But you know that.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

8" on a Cherokee? Even with a long arm, there are other issues. Is the Caster set right....and with only 3 arms instead of the 4....I would imagine the front axle does some weird things as it goes up and down....

Welding? I don't really think you should be welding a long arm kit on a Cherokee...the good ones I have seen have a large cross member that goes across the chassis around the xfer case....the LCA's bolt to this.

Then...lets take into account that with that much lift you want bigger tires....which will also effect on road handling....

Can you get us some pics?

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

The interesting thing is it's rated for 33's or 35's.
So is the RE 5.5" lift. We've done sever with 35's no problem.

Why 8 if it can't handle bigger tires?

The RE lift kit for Cherokees - I've installed several of them now - you do weld to the "frame" - along the pinch weld on the bottom. You weld long brackets on that pinch weld, the LCA's and UCA's and belly pan attach to that. It requires horizontal overhead welding thick - 1/4" - to the sheetmetal body. Not easy! But done right it's super strong!

I'll see it next week - maybe get a few snaps of it. I'll try driving it if possible too.

He may not be familiar with how lifted Jeeps handle - he's a newbie - but he had to have the "biggest" and "best" - an ego thing.

What I'm thinking - since he wants out of it - cheap - maybe buying it and doing whatever it needs to be right. It will depend on whether or not where he welded - or someone did - is torn up. That kind of welding by someone that's not a good welder will just punch holes bad - that would take some major fabbing to fix.

If it handles great - and everything's done right, or can be put right, it should bring a good $$$.

I'll let ya know if I buy it - or run away laughing. I don't like the idea of a 4 link front end with one link missing!

I spent today fabbing a unique overhead rack on a friend's YJ so we can do the Rubicon in August. At first it seemed funky, but it's turning out really nice. I know once people see it they'll say "build me one." Not sure if I want to for all the work involved.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Official Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
The interesting thing is it's rated for 33's or 35's.
So is the RE 5.5" lift. We've done sever with 35's no problem.

Why 8 if it can't handle bigger tires?
Probably because it flexes more than the 5.5" lift. If you limit the up travel with longer bumpstops, you could run bigger tires with the 8" lift.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode