85 CJ Temp, Oil and Fuel Sender Wires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

85 CJ Temp, Oil and Fuel Sender Wires

Guys,
I am trying to get my transplanted 94 YJ 4.0 motor operational in my 85 CJ. I have put in new 4.2 temp and oil senders into the 4.0 engine so I can use my existing CJ dash gauges. I swapped this motor in about seven years ago and in the meantime I have forgotten or my labeling has faded on the CJ engine harness what goes where. I have a Jeep FSM for my scrambler, but it is REAL weak for back tracking the wiring harness and connections. I am wondering if there is not a supplement for the harness diagram. ITMT, can you tell me which colored wire goes the engine temp sensor? The oil sender has two male prongs on it and for the life of me, I can't find anything in my CJ harness that appears to match up. What should I be looking for? Lastly, my swap uses an E2000 external fuel pump for pushing fuel to the 4.0. I put in a new sender and tank into the Jeep. The fuel pump runs fine. I shared the ground location for the fuel pump with the sending unit ground. However, I can't get the gas gauge on the dash to move and I know I poured at least 4 gallons into the tank. What voltage or ohm readings should I get and where should I take them for trouble shooting? Thanks for the wisdom.

1985 CJ with a transplanted 94YJ 4.0L motor, T176 tranny, mainly stock otherwise. ><>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Older CJs used a single-wire oil pressure gauge. The wire is a purple 18-gauge. A sending unit for your '85 should go into the 4.0 without a problem and work fine with your gauges.

The temperature gauge also uses a single 18-gauge wire, purple with a white tracer. An '85 sending unit should work fine.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you can wait until tonight I can send you the exact wire colors....I was just working on it this weekend.....I got tired of having to look it up every time I pulled the dash so I made a sketch AND bundled the wires for each gauge together so I don't have to search around....

FYI....I'm running a 5.7L SBC...and I'm using the stock gauges....you have the right idea...

Slightly un-related...but related....and JYG would be happy....hooked up a good ground to my dash....I had it powder coated.....which in turn basically removed any metal to metal connection....drilled a hole in the inside body...removed any paint around the hole...anchored a soldered 10g wire with a 1/4' sheet metal screw...anchored the other end to a ss stud on the dash...the hole for the stud is threaded which increases the surface area (reduces resistance)...while ss in nice because it does not corrode, it only has about 70% of the conductivity of copper...regular steel is slightly higher than stainless.

So....what this means to you is...make sure you have a good ground on the dash...your gauges depend on it....

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks JeepDawg,
It would be great to get your e-mail. I have pulled out a little way the dash and have another ground hot wired.

JimLou, Purple wire got it.
Duane

1985 CJ with a transplanted 94YJ 4.0L motor, T176 tranny, mainly stock otherwise. ><>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 PM

As you are looking at the back of the speedo gauge....starting at the top and going clockwise (that would be to the right)....

Orange - Note: All oranges are dash lights....
Green w/blk trace - turn signal
Orange and Red wires
Purple - Fuel
Red
Pink
Red and Black
Green - other turn signal
Orange
Gray

And for future reference...

Oil Pressure
Purple Red
Black

Volt Meter
Black Yellow (BAW)

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thank you both for the taking the time with me. I have been working on this Jeep for almost ten years, finally got the 4.0 motor we swapped in 8 years ago to blow smoke for the first time this past Saturday. The mating of a 4.0 engine harness to my CJ has been tricky even with both FSMs for the CJ and 4.0 YJ motor. Trying to figure out what I need to keep on the CJ engine side of the harness is currently where I am at. Duane

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Duane,
I did an SBC swap using a 5.7L TBI into my cj7...so I know exactly what you are going through.

Basically, you can divide your wiring into two parts, chassis and computer. The computer harness that goes through the firewall near the battery should have already come out. On the chassis part (harness that comes out of the fuse block), you will find a couple of wires that are used by the computer but end up being spare.

I do feel your pain because it's hard to figure out which wires go to the fuse block using the FSM....

I'm going to assume that the 4.0 harness is more or less a stand alone harness. On my SBC I ran the TBI harness through the existing hole in the firewall and mounted the computer in the same spot as the old one....all I had to do was enlarge the hole a little. If that is the case for the 4.0...then it should be easy.

Don't stress too much about your gauges....I'm going to assume that you will need to double up on a couple of sensors....like the temp...I'm going to assume that your 4.0 computer wants to see the temp. In the donor vehicle, I would be willing to bet that the temp gauge is fed off the computer and not directly from the sending unit. There is no reason you can't install your factory sending unit in another spot so your gauge will work. That is what I did on mine.

AKA DDawg16
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

JeepDawg,
Yes, my 94 4.0L YJ harness is standalone. Now that I have got it to fire and idle, I am working on thinning out the CJ engine side of the harness first (low hanging fruit ) then cutting out the YJ harness wiress not connected to anything. I have the OEM CJ fuel gauge working and now I am on the temp and oil sender hunt. I debated of converting the oil sender over to mechanical, but will stay electric for now. Just can't picture an oil spray all over everything with as many years into this rebuild as I have. Thanks for all the input, I could not have made this far without you guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode