You all need this service...Log me in.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

You all need this service...Log me in..

For you Geeks and not-so-Geeks... Take a look at:

Logmein

I use it at home and at work,.. it's a lifesaver! Sign up for a free account and you won't regret it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Site is down. Is it a login/password service?

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

I just checked... and used it.. it's not down. It may be being blocked..

It lets you remotely log into your computer via the Internet and control your computer. I use it at work to access my home computer, and at home to access my work computer. Also, now doing networking, I also use it to access many clients computers. It's better than VCN, and rivals PCAnywhere, as it's free.

Wikipedia's definition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That's Cool, now I remember it.

However:

Quote:
now doing networking, I also use it to access many clients computers
I looked into this, and thought it might be cool for me accessing my customer's computers. But as a free service it is as-is and cannot completely ensure security (I don't know about the paid, it was a while ago).

Just remember, if a hacker uses this to get into your customer's network, you better have a good lawyer, or be incorporated.

I use webex, pay-per-use. I think it is $.66/min and they (your customer) have to let you in. I just pass the cost to the customer, they don't balk.

As far as home/work I make sure all my customer confidential data is encrypted. I like terminal server better and the Microsoft action pack is a real cheap way to get all the MS goodies (Servers, XP, Exchange, Office, Visio, ERP and accounting, etc.) for cheap (~$300) for consultants. https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep, just like go2mypc.

But using free software for my business is a issue especially where security is concerned. In this situation of go2mypc, and apparently this one, what if the main servers in their location are compromised internally (why I don't use any Off-Shore monitoring facilities) or externally? Only by reviewing your last connection would you even know there was a breach.

End result, someone else has your password too, and I have a big trust factor issue with that.

Been doing IT for 18yrs, in almost every platform, network type and security level, and really, the original common sense of trust has served me very well.

Check out the MS action Pack,if you work on those platforms, Vista is now included too. Just build a few PCs for cheap and get used to the new stuff as it is revolutionary and different from the current systems. I recommend if you are in the MS space, knowing Server 2003 r2 x64, exchange 2007 (only runs on x64) Vista and office 2007, all of these are very different from their predecessors.

And if you have never run terminal server, it is excellent, and secure.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Old Hand

so hows this work? Anyone can sign up for this and take control of my computer without my knowledge???? Or do I have to "let them in" or give them access? And why yess Im that computer dumb!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Anyone can sign up for an account. When you sign up for a free account you use your email address as an ID, and then set a password for each computer. If you don't know the password, you don't get in. If you mis-enter the password X number of times, you're locked out (don't ask me how I know). There is no need for someone on the remote computer to agree to the use. There is, however, a dialog box that opens on the remote computer telling anyone that it's being remotely controlled.

Can anyone just butt in and take control of the computer? Nope... At least in the years my company's been using this free product, it's never been comromised. The company's so impressed with the software.. they bought a license to use the Rescue product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode