DDing a Trail rig VS. trail rig and tow rig - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

DDing a Trail rig VS. trail rig and tow rig

I'm at the point where my Daily driver 3/4 ton is pretty much trashed and un reliable and i've just started to build my trail rig. This summer I'll have 5-8 grand from busting my ass to spend on either a new tow rig or dump into my bronco. I have a year left of college and then i'll probably graduate and have a decent comute each day.

So far the bronco trail rig has been reliable, it drives OK though with new steering/ the right track bar it should drive nice, it's an eye catcher and a blast to drive. I've thought about spending the $$ I would spend on a DD making the bronco reliable/ comfortable. Things like decent steering, gears/ selectable lockers/ axle re-builds, radial tires, re-build the tranny and t-case, reseal everything to stop leaks, fix body mounts, comfortable seats, good heat, new drive shafts, lots of reliabilty stuff.

I've started becoming a more "civilized" driver and have started to show some restraint on the trails, I've broken the bornoco once out 4 times out and that was a 260 axle joint (still drove it home). If I spend the $$ on the bronco i'll know it really well and know exactly what it needs vs. buying a used truck and having no idea what it's history or what it needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Put 4-6 G into a new tow rig, and put 1-3 G into the Bronco. When you graduate and get a regular job, put a few grand into a 'normal' daily driver car that gets good gas mileage if you need to drive a long distance to work.

That way you have it all. Having only 1 vehicle is never the good solution. You always need another one to chase parts for the first one, etc.

Good luck,
Pete.

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

If I dump cash into the bronco i'll keep my pile of truck as a "back up"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'll 2nd Pete8yj

thats why i have 3 vehicles.

toyota echo (40mpg) for work and long drives
F150 for hauling stuff (jeep, jeep parts, and stuff for my house, drywall etc)
and the Jeep, which someday will run and be a trail vehicle.

i recomend having the trail vehicle being road friendly/legal......you can drive it to and from the trail, and you can use it to get to work if you need to if your other vehicle is dead

i did it through end of highschool and all of college with just my jeeps as my commuter and trail vehicle......but i'm also not as crazy as you when it comes to wheel'n. I'm content just driving on medium mild trails all day, very relaxing.

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Old Hand

Had I the ability to be back in the same situation you are in, this is what I now whish I had done. Finished building my Bronco and buy a cheep eco/ pu for long trips and a spair. Face it the bronco could pull a trailer. They look cool.
Each time I am faced with buying a new vehicle, I look at the same issues. And each time I choose the new instead of "finishing" the old. Ive wasted a lot of money on this.
Also I currently have 3 autos, CJ7 (for sale) TJ and a Commander. It sucks!!!! Cuz I want to put lockers in and get a winch...But what do I put it on???now I need 3 times the parts, 3x the oil changes and maintence. not to mention 3x the insurance, registration taxes adn FUEL. this little obsession of mine just got real expensive.
As for the tow rig, how often do you tow your rig? I enjoy driving my jeeps more than towing them... FOR ME it is more impressive to drive the jeep to the trail and play then drive home. granted I cant (and wont try) to keep keep up with dedicated trail rigs...but I have just as much fun.
oh and doing it all over...Id go back to high school and buy a scrambler and not buy any other autos. Id have a lot more money and the coolest ride around! lol hmm that 07 wrangler is looking good...mayby I should traid off my TJ???? No time to take my own advice!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Don't forget -- there 'are' times in life that you might not want a big Bronco on 36" tires, with a leaky soft top and kinda loud headers....

You need to take a nice lady in a dress to a wedding.

You want to take the same lady to a nice dinner.

You need to get to an interview, or an exam, in the rain, and you feel like crap.

You need to go to your uncles funeral, and drive in the line.

I did the work / college / grad school / play with jeeps thing -- Been there, done that. Sometimes you just need a normal vehicle. If you don't need a high MPG vehicle, that can be your tow rig - but it has to stay reasonably clean. 2 axles in the bed with gear oil leaking down the tailgate doesn't count. If you need to get good MPG to drive a long way to work, then you need a real car.

Besides, then you'll look like you've got your sheet together, and the women will be impressed.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Sawzall Poster Boy

During wheeling season I'm on the trail almost every weekend, i've driven the bronco every time so far because my fricken truck was broken.

It's got a metal hard top, gota get the heat fixed, exhaust isn't that bad, it's a little more civilized then a jeep.

If a nice lady wants to go some where with me they hop in the rig or they are told to move on. If I ever do throw my balls away and get married the unfortunate one is leaving the wedding in my trail rig at the time. The whole civilized thing hasn't kicked in yet. My bronco is probably nicer/ cleaner then my pile of truck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
During wheeling season I'm on the trail almost every weekend, i've driven the bronco every time so far because my fricken truck was broken.

It's got a metal hard top, gota get the heat fixed, exhaust isn't that bad, it's a little more civilized then a jeep.

If a nice lady wants to go some where with me they hop in the rig or they are told to move on. If I ever do throw my balls away and get married the unfortunate one is leaving the wedding in my trail rig at the time. The whole civilized thing hasn't kicked in yet. My bronco is probably nicer/ cleaner then my pile of truck.

Well, if you're in barbarian mode, still, then here's an excellent reason to NOT make your trail rig your DD. At some point, you will be out on the trail. And, since you're still a barbarian, you'll get drunk/cocky/stupid ONE time, and that will be the end of your DD and you'll be stuck. I've seen it happen so many times, I lost count. These days I just laugh...

Think of it like a safety thing, like carrying a 1st aid kit. Most of the time it's redundant and you don't need it, but that ONE time you need it, you're thankful it's there. Also, even though you THINK you like bombing around in your big burly trail rig, scaring kids at stop signs and generally making sure everyone knows you're a badass because you drive a trail rig to work/school/whatever, the reality is that it is nice to have a comfortable vehicle to do regular driving duties in. Also, what happens if your trail rig breaks because of the DD duties you're asking it to perform? The street can be hard on a rig, too. Constant wear on a trail rig is exaggerated by bigger tires, lower gears, heavier suspension. All of that puts additional stress on things like ball joints, TREs, wheel bearings, and bushings. Stuff that normally takes several off-road trips to wear out will go much faster, now. Then you're stuck and can't go wheeling....that would suck even more than not being able to get to work.

"And then I said, 'Just like that, but with more gas!' Oops..."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Apprentice

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.

I don't have a clue what field you are going to find employment in, some places it doesn't matter what you drive, i.e. construction yards. Other places you might want something more practical, Chicago, New York, LA, doesn't mean it can't be done in your Bronco but when you're looking at 40+ mile commutes one way that fuel mileage at $3-4 per gallon starts to eat into your pay check in a big hurry. Not to mention the ONE time that you do break down and HAVE to be at work the next day kind of bites. That's when you wish you had bought that other vehicle.

I could have had a V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode