Resteraut service question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Resteraut service question.

Just currious we have been eating out quite a bit lately and while there is no question that the service one got routinly everywhere 10 years ago is not the norm today. Answer me a few questions:

How long do you expect to wait to get waited on in say a steady resturant (IE not busy but not empty)
What kind of service do you expect?
How long do you expect to wait for your food?
How ofen do you think your server should return.

Just trying to determin if I am a crotchedy old Bstd, or if we have been going to the wrong places.

I used to never complain about food or service, I just wouldn't return. Lately I have been looking at it diffrently because there are only a few places I truly like to eat. So I tend to let the manager know what I think. For the most part the managers make peace and it is acceptable, but I am getting tird of getting crappy meals or service and am truing to figure out if my expectations are out of line.

Jeff

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM

If the place isn't busy but service is slow, I'm pissed. I don't think you should have to wait more than 10 minutes for someone to take your order, and no more than 30 minutes for the meal to arrive, unless you've ordered something oddball. Maybe I'm just impatient. If things are running behind, they should warn me so I have an option to leave.

I have found a lot of places are ok with serving us burned food, rotten lettuce, etc. Must be teenagers or someone who don't give a care. I also find places that have no clue, and do things like start mopping the floor with pinesol close to my feet while I'm eating my food, or sweeping the floor. Nothing like the smell of pinesol or lysol to ruin your appetite, or hair and dust in the air while you eat. If the food is burnt or subpar, I will say something to the server. Then of course you have to wait another 20-30 for another one to be made. Nothing like one of the parties having to eat after everyone else is finished. I tend to just not come back if I get that kind of service.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Well I am a crotchedy old bastard and, the way I work it is the tip is dependend upon the service...If service sucks your tip will be written on the napkin "Never trust a naked bus driver" if the service is excellent I have been known to leave a 100% tip for great service. It has been my experience though if the place your going is $30 and up per plate your service is generally going to be good if your going to a place where your entire bill including drinks is $30...well lets say you get what you pay for.
John

Please send check or money order for my bigger engine, drivetrain, axle, and tire foundation directly to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Addict

"Just trying to determin if I am a crotchedy old Bstd"

YEA ! THAT ONE !

Slightly Dented Tater and an 88 YJ !
I Love My Mangled JEEP!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Apprentice

I've just started walking out of restaurants. Personally I think that places used depend on the word of the customer, they would cater to them on the hopes of the customer coming back. Now they really don't care less if you come back or not, because if you don't someone else will.

Just like my dinner last night, took my 13 yr old daughter and 12 yr old friend out for pizza. While eating, the party (10-12 drunken 20 yr olds) next to us decided to do body shots and flash their tits for the cell cameras, when I mentioned it to the manager it was obvious that the party would spend more money than I would so they really didn't care.

I could have had a V8
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast

I know that the waiter person (m/f) is working harder than I want to work but I still expect the service to reasonable. My pet peeve is the refill on the bottomless drink; if you leave me dry the tip is going to be dry too.

Kriss

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If I'm in a group of 12-16 people and go to an upscale restaurant, I don't expect to be waited on, served, and finished in an hour. I expect the waiter/waitress to check back frequently about drinks, bread, etc. But in a burger/pizza/fast food restaurant, I expect to be in and out within an hour with drink refills when empty. I don't complain, but don't go back for a second helping of poor service or bad food. I nearly always tip 20% unless poor service is because of the server. My daughters both worked as waitresses, and I know they are dependent on tips. Don't blame the waitress if it's not her fault.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Addict

If you don't tell the management your visit sucked and why, how will they know what to fix?

Slightly Dented Tater and an 88 YJ !
I Love My Mangled JEEP!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
While eating, the party (10-12 drunken 20 yr olds) next to us decided to do body shots and flash their tits for the cell cameras, when I mentioned it to the manager it was obvious that the party would spend more money than I would so they really didn't care.
Dang Jim, don't eat at Hooters Pizza Parlor Things must get pretty wild up north!

I am sure the owners would be interested if you were to call the local papers or just file a complaint at your local police

If the food is good, but the service is bad, I always talk to the management, and sometimes remind them of the rule of ten.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode