OT - Tool Sources - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - Tool Sources

Ok....we all know all of the major sources....Snap-On, Mac and Craftsman....
But some of the above also make tools for less common/generic names.

If you know, would you chime in with the data?

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I buy alot of lisle tools because around here every auto shop sells them and when I break them I can get an imeidate replacement. Otherwise I have a hogepoge of tools. Snap on, black hawk, craftsman, Ael which are sold at my local auto store with a lifetime waranty, Mac, Matco, those come to mind, but I have them from all over. The one thing I will say is off the tools I have, the old tools I have are all craftsman or snap on, the rest have been replaced time and again.

I am getting ready to spend the jack on a a Mac air hammer, just because I cannot fid one with the same power rating. I need something that will easily shear off 1/4 inch rivets for hours at a time. Neither my IR or powermate (IE campbell hossfeld) will do that.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

If I am not mistaken, the Kobalt tools sold at Lowes have a Snap On Heritage.

I own several different brands of tools and I am rather impressed with the

Kobalts. They have a lifetime warranty, and seem to hold up rather well. I used

to be a stodgy old Craftsman addict, but since you can now purchase them at

K-Mart, and the warranty is pretty much a joke, I have pretty much fallen off

the Sears bandwagon.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Blain's farm and fleet...duracraft tools.....they have a similar replacement policy to the old craftsman policy.....i like 'em

also the *edit*PITTSBURG(...the industrial ones)* tools from harbor freight are surprising quality for the price,....i have all my ratchets and sockets from there, havent had a problem yet.....they have outlasted the stanley ratchets i used to have......

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com

Last edited by JeepnGreg; 04-29-2007 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
BMB
Veteran

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

E-Bay is awsome for tool truck tools. Try searching for Snap On ending soonest at 2am, you can get some really good deals. I put the tool's part # in to the search on snapon.com and get the list price, i don't pay more then 1/2 of retail.

www.thetoolwarehouse.com and Pressure Washers, Portable Generators, Mowers, Lawn + Garden | Northern Tool + Equipment MaxTool.com - Get the lowest price on name brand tools and equipment! are also good places for tools. I plan on adding a ton to my collection this summer including a compressor and air tools, a press, and lots of hand/ specialty tools.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

I just ordered an OTC flange puller, OTC seal puller, KD valve spring compressor, and an SK torque wrench, form thetoolwarehouse.net. It was $175 to my door, I'll report when they get here. I'm corssing my fingers it's by Friday so I can swap out this damn motor. We'll see how they hold up to Andy abuse during a motor swap.

It seems there's a lot of OTC, KD, Sunex, and Astro Punmatic that are pretty much the same tool in a different box. I know my KD power steering pully puller is the same as about 6 other brands, only thing different is the case.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM

Store brand or 'Truck' brands... I don't care what I use if it works.

Most of my tools are Sears, but for a few of the really 'Touchy' specialty tools, I have Snap-On or Mac.

The 'Truck' tools are just fine, but the stores have never closed up or moved when they knew I had a lot of warranties...
The truck dealers just avoid you when they know you have a butt load of broken stuff...

When it comes to things like Tap & Die sets, go with something like 'Blue Point'...
Most of the premium dealers are relabeling Blue Point and they are truly a good deal.

If you are just chasing threads in blocks and on bolts, go with Sears.
STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA!
They haven't learned how to temper steel yet, so there is no such thing as a sharp tool that's going to stay sharp, or not wear away in noting flat.

For things that my body parts depend on, like 'Wobble Extensions'
(An extension that is under cut so the socket can misaligned slightly)
I stick with Snap-On or Mac, simply because the undercut weakens the extension, and I want premium steel between my knuckles and something hard and sharp!

Stanley tools are a deal right now.
Stanley purchased MAC tools, so now most of the Stanley stuff is being made in the MAC plant to MAC standard.
$79 for a set of 1/2" drive impact sockets from MAC,
Same set at Walmart under the Stanley name (same part number even!) for $19.95.

I have a lot of Proto ratchets.
Well built, good price, good teeth counts so they work well in confined spaces, and the store doesn't move when I need a warranty.
They don't give me a 'Kit' and tell me to fix it myself either... (that REALLY pisses me off about sears...)
Proto dealers always give me a new ratchet, which makes me smile!

S-K is a pretty good brand.
Pretty good convergence between price, warranty and quality.

I have a few Matco, Mapco, and parts store brands also, like everybody does, but I can't really say I'm real happy with the parts store brands... (NAPA in particular).

If you are buying tools you are only going to use a few times, like harmonic balancer/ steering wheel pullers, then buy discount.
Same with a lot of the 'Single Use Every 5 years' tools you will need down the line.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Way Outta Control

The ones with the brand "China" - it is a brand, isn't it? It can hurt you. Be careful.

Pulling on a ratchet - the socket breaks, the ratchet hits - well there goes another tooth!

I was using a flywheel turner under a car - I woke up when my wife pulled me out from under -- out copld! She wondered where all the blood was coming from - my forehead. The turner's rivit broke - whack!

I wouldn't have believed it - but I broke the end of a 1/2" breaker bar - the square broke - China again. I wasn't even pulling that hard.

Sears - but only with the label CRAFTSMAN - they sell cheaper stuff - look closely - thast brand again - China!
Snap-on, Matco etc have always been quality.

Don't trust them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Journeyman

Even sticking with the Craftsman name, you still have to choose carefully. Most of my tools are Craftsman, and most of them work well. I twisted the tip slightly on a Craftsman mini torx driver (disassembling a computer hard drive). When I went to replace the torx driver, the ones marked the same size were a little smaller in the tip? Surely SAE standards haven't changed? Anyway, after breaking a few Craftsman tools, I choose carefully. A tool that breaks before breaking loose the part I'm working on does me no good, even if I do get it replaced for free. I've notices a lot of aircraft mechanics use Snap-On. For those situations where quality is paramount, regardless of price, I've always considered Snap-On to be the reliable choice. Is that the general consensus among auto mechanics as well?

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode