Sorta OT - Soft Top Jeep Rental, Salt Lake to Fresno?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Sorta OT - Soft Top Jeep Rental, Salt Lake to Fresno??

Hey all,

Here's the deal: I'm taking Jeepchick on a vacation out West in June. Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, etc., etc. Flying into Salt Lake City, flying home out of Fresno, CA.

I really want to get a soft top Jeep to rent, to see all of that beautiful scenery from. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a Jeep, or even a convertible car, for that matter, from any of the major rental places - Avis, Hertz, etc.

I did find one place out of SLC that would rent me one, and charge me a 'retreival fee' from Fresno to SLC, but they are out of soft-top models for that timeframe.

I tried the Jeep rental places in Moab, but for various complications, that doesn't work.

We're not really looking to wheel, just to drive an open Jeep on our trip.

I know it's the one-way rental that's hurting my availability, but changing our itinerary isn't an option - it's SLC to Fresno.

.......Can anyone give me any ideas? Anyone wanna rent me their TJ? I actually looked into shipping my YJ out and back, which is actually cheaper than I was quoted to rent one but my YJ wouldn't be up to the trip, and Jeepchick's Grand Cherokee isn't an open-top Jeep.

Thanks for any thoughts. Leve - you live out there, any advice?
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Pete, I feel your pain...I am having a similar issue for the Bash....the wife and I are flying out from LA....too far to drive either jeep (plus the airfare was free)...

I have two different jeeps reserved...I will glad if one of them is 4wd instead of 2wd....

BTW...you do NOT want to be driving through Death Valley in the summer with a soft top...much less a convertible....lets just say it's RFH....but you do want to see Scotty's Castle....

If the one way rental is the killer...it might be cheaper to drive back to SLC and then fly or drive to Fresno.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Give me a PM with your travel dates ...... If your looking for someone to drive your Jeep back to a rental outlet in Utah.
I know a couple of College kids attending BYU that might be interested in a 'free' ride back to college ..... if the dates work out.
or
post up on the college/church/ride sharing/military boards looking for someone to do this?

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300 w/Tera 4:1 Kit, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, HEI, Ft disc, MC 2100,Dents, Mud & Rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys -- yes, it would be cheaper to drive back to SLC, but we haven't got the additional time, and didn't want to shorten the trip to make it back to SLC in the time we've got -- we'd miss good stuff!

The ride share thing is a good idea - not sure who I'd trust driving under my rental agreement though.....hmm... I'll think about that one.

Thanks for the input!
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode