OT Virginia Tech and handgun laws - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

OT Virginia Tech and handgun laws

In the reporting of the Virginia Tech story, I noticed news stories reported that the guy had a 9mm and a 22mm handgun. 22mm! Was it an elephant gun?

Most disturbing, was I noticed a couple of gun control advocates arguing about these “automatic” handguns. One of them was Lawrence O’Donnell on last Sunday’s edition of The Mclaughlin Group.

Here is a piece of the transcript of that show copied from the The Mclaughlin Group website.

MR. O'DONNELL: Let me tell you who was on that campus. There were kids on that campus who were brave enough and big enough to stop one person with a gun unless it was an automatic weapon that could spray the bullets -- just spray them, Pat. That's why they couldn't stop him.

MR. BUCHANAN: He didn't spray them.

MR. O'DONNELL: He sprayed them.

MR. BUCHANAN: Who stopped him? Men with guns came on the campus, the good guys.

MR. O'DONNELL: That's right. But if he had --

MR. BUCHANAN: If they had been on campus, there wouldn't have been that problem.

MR. O'DONNELL: If he had to squeeze one bullet at a time --

MR. BUCHANAN: He did.

MR. O'DONNELL: No, he didn't.

MR. BUCHANAN: It is not a --

MR. O'DONNELL: You hold that trigger and it sprays.

MR. BUCHANAN: You don't know anything about guns.

MR. O'DONNELL: That's what he was doing.

MR. BUCHANAN: That's a semiautomatic weapon.

MR. O'DONNELL: He was spraying the bullets.

You can read the entire transcript or see the show in streaming video at The Mclaughlin Group website.

People have heard these semi-automatic handguns called “automatics” for so long that they believe they fire in FULL automatic mode.

I have two points to make:

These people need to be educated before more and more begin to support handgun bans because of misconceptions.

We need to quit abusing the English language to call something what it is not because we are too lazy to move our mouths in speech or our fingers in type and use shortened descriptions.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Talk about confusion. I have to agree with you. As well, people shouldn't speak with authority in things they have no understanding of. They should have learned better as a child.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:37 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Taz, definitely a OT from you we will all agree with!

I would have liked to answer, "Sir, the only sensible form of gun control would be to keep the guns and the opinions away from idiots like you, who know nothing about firearms, nor would spend a bit of time to learn."

Nice Piece in Tin's link:

Quote:
In January 2006, a bill was proposed in the Virginia State Assembly that would have forced Virginia Tech to change its current policy and allow students and faculty members to legally carry weapons on campus. Teenage college students carrying guns makes me nervous, but shouldn't adults be able to decide if they want to arm themselves — just in case? When the bill was defeated, a Virginia Tech spokesman cheered the action, saying, "This will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Way Outta Control

The first I heard of the VT thing was someone sent me an article that Nancy Pelosi was saying VT was because of all the "military like" weapons available.

She made that profound statement about an hour after the shooting - long before any information was released as to what he used.

What if the teachers were armed - even if just a few of them, fully trained etc. That guy would have been history FAST!

They say we need more gun laws - isn't killing people illegal already?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

heres a great video.....

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Video: Carolyn McCarthy doesn’t understand her own gun-control legislation

i think it is a fine example of pretty much everyone thats pro-gun-control

backs up my theory that most, if not all, gun control advocates 1) dont understand firearms and/or 2)base their views on emotional events (i.e. a realtive was shot and killed)

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com

Last edited by JeepnGreg; 04-27-2007 at 09:44 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Old Hand

Gun Control: (n) The ability to perform a smooth and even trigger pull while maintaining an accurate sight alignment.

It didn't work last time either.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:56 AM

Oh JOY! I updated my browser for Ebay, and the IGNORE feature works!
No more taz!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM

VT was a tragedy that should have never happened.

IF... Mental health workers would have had the guy involuntarily committed, his name would have appeared on the Federal 'No Gun' list.

Safe Guard in place, Overly PC staff didn't take advantage of it.
--------------------------------

IF... The gun dealer would have noticed the 'Permanent Address' on the buyers application form was a Dorm Room, the sale should not have proceeded.
The FFL (Federal Firearms License for Dealers) clearly states that a PERMANENT PHYSICAL ADDRESS has to appear on the application.
Hotels, Boarding houses, Hospitals, Dormitories and any PO boxes, letter drops, mail drawers are specifically excluded.
The only exception is a Permanent Party address at a military base.

Safe Guard in place, Greedy shop owner neglected to process the application with due diligence... (I'm sure that will come back to haunt him in the form of about 80 law suits...)

I'm not clear on this one...
Was he a Foreign National here on a student visa, or was he a resident alien with a green card?
If he was here on a Visa, he shouldn't have been eligible to buy a gun.

If he was here on a green card as resident alien, then firearms purchases are allowed.
Personally I think that's wrong, too easy to get a green car or green card forgery...
By the time you are here long enough to become a naturalized citizen, someone should have seen the signs and you should be on the ban list if you are nuts....

We don't need more 'Gun Control' laws, We need more 'Crazy People Control' laws.

We need to allow properly trained and licensed people carry concealed firearms on campus.
One legal firearm would have stopped this, and all other fiascos, in their tracks.
Lots of current & former military men and women are teachers now, plus there are a lot more that would qualify for firearms training and carry...

I'm not sure students should carry concealed, I remember what a hot head I was at 22 (but I was in the military...).
These are supposed to be our best and brightest, so if they can go off to war and fight for our country, why not let some of them carry on campus...

The thing that shocks me the most was the Blacksburg police, the VA. state police, and the county cops all hiding!
One guy in that building could have stopped the shootings in their tracks...
Instead they were all hiding behind trees pissing themselves!
This is what standardized testing will get you... Ego-Fear driven people that are totally unable to deal with stressful and /or life & death situations.
Craven cowards with a piece of brass and tin on their chests... just fine for pissing people off, chasing underage or married women and acting like a big shot, but hiding behind trees and cars when the sh!t actually hits the fan, requiring them to do the job they volunteered and are paid for...

Every 'Standoff' you see... Isn't.
That's PR crap. No such thing as a 'Stand Off' unless both parties agree to it.
Just one motivated officer entering that building... Just one that didn't have a full diaper would have ended that spree.
Same with Columbine and all the other so called 'Stand Offs'...

It's not "Protect & Serve" anymore...
It's "Protect my own ass at all costs, and do what ever serves me!"
Body armor, full auto assault weapons, loads of training against one nut ball with a handgun that won't penetrate the body armor you have!
You do the math...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post
..........If he was here on a green card as resident alien, then firearms purchases are allowed.
Personally I think that's wrong, too easy to get a green car or green card forgery...
By the time you are here long enough to become a naturalized citizen, someone should have seen the signs and you should be on the ban list if you are nuts...
not disagreeing with you on other points....

but that stuff on green card i will take exception to

....as someone who had a green card for a very long time....and knows, first hand, the headaches involved with dealing with the INS....i think people who have green cards should be afforded all our constitutional rights...thankfully our government agrees.......the green card means that the government is entrusting you with all the rights and privileges of being an American, except voting really....you can leave here in the US forever.

and they are NOT easy to get.....hence the waiting list thats close to decades long.....and the millions of people who cross the border illegally....if it was easy enough to get a green card, they would.......but its a MAJOR P.I.T.A.

If you have a different first hand experience let me know.....otherwise you acn think of trying to deal simultaneously with the IRS, the DMV, and the social security administration.......yea...its something like that....

as for fake green cards......good freak'n luck they cross reference those bad boy like you wouldnt believe...you need to list you alien registration number on the form for the FFL.....and they do check to make sure the info is good.....i know....i was rejected once when i mis-wrote something on my form....got that cleared up though.

and then not to mention they are really high tech now and near impossible to fake.

EDIT* oh yea...and he was an alien with a green card.....not a student visa....he had been here long enough to be an american citizen...and theres no reason he would have been denied citizenship.........he might as well have been american*

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com

Last edited by JeepnGreg; 04-28-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode