Remove 3rd leaf spring ok? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM
caohvlady

Remove 3rd leaf spring ok?

Hi - I recently purchased a '95 Wrangler SE. Got it lifted 4" with 33" tires. Now I can clear most anything, but! I'm beaten to death and can't get over (no lockers or posi). I was advised to get quick-release sway bars to help - ok, will do. Also being advised (by non-jeepers) to remove the 3rd leaf spring to soften the suspension. Now this makes me nervous - it's there for a reason, yes? Will this help the ride and jarring? I bring tire press. down to 18 also. Can't afford another $3k right now....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would not remove leaves from the springs personally

if you wanted to soften the ride more, I'd change the shocks ...that will do you better, i think than spring changes

changing the number of leaves may give you move flex though (asssuming your shocks arent limiting your flex), but then they will likely sag more and/or sooner

of course all this depends on what you have....so i'm making the assumption that you have a basic 4" lift setup .......i guess for all i know you could have the softest shocks in the world, but be running massive spring packs from a semi.....

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

"building packs" isn't the worst idea. I've made packs before though usually to get a flat spring for a spring over that rides/ flexes decent. It's hard to find leafs lying around to mix and match for a 4" pack. Threre's a science to make a decent leaf pack that's the right rate for your jeep, a genaric 4" lift kit is usually 1 with a "universal rate" that's a compermise for all yj's. Generally more thinner leafs gives you a better ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Way Outta Control

I take it you are talking about the jarring rough ride off road?

Drop your tire pressure below that hard 18lbs.
You'll be amazed at how nice (or nicer) it rides at 10 or 12 lbs. It will handle rocks and sand MUCH better. At 18 the tires will cut easily, at 10-12 they don't rip as easy either.

But that's not good for highway - it'll handle squirrelly and will really shorten tire life.

Get something that will be easy to re-inflate them when you get back to the street.
There are cigaette inflaters that take a long time.
And more expensive inflaters.
One that makes sense and several guys use them, a small portable compressor like for a nail gun - driven by an inverter.
Or you can go more elaborate with on-board air system.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

I guess I wasn't sure if you were talking on road or offroad ride. Yeah dropping to 15psi or lower will help. Another thing I feel makes a big differance with ride is shackle angle. I personally like a front end with the shackle up front (that's another debatle all together) with a near 45* shackle angle the /= a shackle, _= a spring here's a crappy picture /__________ but it'll give you an idea. I know my shackles on my yj had a really bad reverse angle when I put a 4" lift on it and it rode pretty poopy. Those same springs with a 45* angle in a lighter rig worked awsome and rode great.

There's a lot to getting a suspension right. Here's the method the desert guys use to drive at crazy speeds: a custom rate spring (get the weight of each corrner of your jeep, call a good spring shop and discuss your needs), a valvable shock, good suspension geometry, and a couple days of "tuning" shock valving. It's not the easiest or cheapest thing in the world to do.

The "poor man's" version of a good suspension is a good set of lift springs (BDS, rubicon express extreme duty, I can't remember who else), poroper shackle angles, and a good set of white shocks factory vavled for your application (a set of shocks designed for a 1 ton chevy isn't going to give you the ride you want, get a set for a yj).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 AM

Just a guess. what are your shackles torqued to?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM
caohvlady

THANKS everyone - I will look into shocks that may improve and go lower on the psi. I already bought a off-battery compressor and inflate b4 back on street. Yes, this is regarding off-road riding. Sorry, I learn mechanics as I 'encounter' and listen to what's said to me - right now, "shackles" is new lingo for me. But! I will pursue this to answer your inquiries and see where that takes us Will also identify the lift kit used. I do know it's not a 'soft' one cuz the guy told me not to go down that road (the lift would sag too easily in time). I also believe it's not a 'basic' body-only lift. The lift comes from below the frame though, not above which I've learned would've been better, maybe. From now on, I'm coming here before making decisions. Ya'll are GREAT! Thanks again (my CR125 is SO much easier!)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 PM

the shackle is the thing that attaches the spring to the frame that moves. usually at the front of the jeep and on the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode