New Off-Roader - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:02 PM
wstbch

New Off-Roader

Hey everybody. Ive had my 99 Jeep TJ since November and never did any offroading of any sorts. a few weeks ago i found a huge empty lot and decided to rip around on it for fun. i loved it. im planning on doing quite a bit of camping/offroading this summer and i want to get my jeep all suited up with the necessary equipment. i was wondering if you guys could direct me as to what ill need for offroading and maybe some tips.

99 Jeep TJ (no lift)
Dark Blue
32' tires
ive already got installed fog lights

i was thinking i need a bumper/brush guard, winch, rock sliders...

and if your recommending any specific products, please try and find something as cheap as possible haha.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:04 PM

Welcome to the madness! The good news is that you don't need anything but some experience. The first thing you need to know is to pitch the off-road magazines. They're full of accessories, the best of which are usefull under some circumstances. A significant number are useless, and many are downright dangerous.

The TJ is an amazingly capable vehicle right out of the box. There are a few modifications and accessories that are usefull for certain conditions, but until you get some experience you won't know what those are.

Best thing to do first is get a good first aid kit, a Hi-Lift jack and a good tow strap. If you go places where a roll-over and tumble down a hill is possible, consider a full roll cage.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Old Hand

A Hi-lift jack can help you out in many ways.. and a tow strap is a must ** the type with no hooks** Dont wheel alone. And try not to wheel with only one rig.
This list can go on for ever. Best thing would be to take it easy and get to know your rig and how it works on the trails.

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

one of the best peices of advice tha gets posted here to new people is to find a club to go jeeping with.

you get to learn from other peoples experiences and mistakes....and you get someone to yank you out when you get stuck.

welcome and good luck!

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 AM

RUN QUICKLY! RUN FAR! Befor the 'Jeep Madness' sets in too deeply!

Once you get started with 'Jeep Madness' it takes over!
You can't wait to add some new thing to your jeep or gear to make you more capable in the boonies, and your pockets are always empty!

Remember, REAL JEEPS are built, not mail ordered!
We give a lot more credit to some little do-dad that you made yourself than to a huge lift kit or giant tires...

Anyone with a credit card can get mail order crap...
If you want chrome and bright paint, buy a H2, but don't call it a jeep!

'Tinkering' is the 'Jeep' way.
We 'Fix' things that aren't broken! A lot of times we fix them so good they ARE broken when we are done!
This good part about this is even the new guys can teach us something!

Anyway, glad to have another person in the 'Rubber Room', and glad to have another Jeeper on the trails!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Old Hand

Welcome to the addiction! The question that you asked is a dangerous one. Some will give you lists that include enough spare parts to build a second jeep. But as with the others that have responded, lets keep it simple!!! Yes the TJ out of the box is very capable. You just need to know its limits!
Crawl under it and check the distances to your vital components (oil pan, skid plates, vent hoses) and while you are there check for anything that may need to be fixed. Once you know your jeeps week links go have fun. and make sure you dont endanger any of those weak links (big rocks near oil pan, water deeper than the vent or air intake)
As for things to take... Like everyone else said: a buddy (with there own 4x4), a tow strap (without hooks [get loops instead] local tractor supply $30-$40) first aid kit (walmat $10 [I like to make my own about $6 and more compact]) fire extingusher. COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT!!! (cell phone works if you get reception) I also take a pad of paper and pen, start a wish list. basic tools.
with the exception to my highlift (which is mounted on the back bumper) I fit every thing I need under my back seat (basic tools, lug wrench, a piece of carpet as ground cover, tow strap, first aid kit, wire ties, fuses, electrical and duct tape). The fire extinguher on the roll cage, trail mix and gloves in the glove box. that stuff stays with me at all times. when I go on a trip I add some spair fluids and my CO2 bottle for airing back up.
If you are carefull you could get away with about $150 in stuff, if you are lucky even less!!! I bought my high lift used for 15, strap for 30 and tools pawn shops or garage sales 10-15. first aid kit 5, extinguher 10. Having fun with you TJ...PRICELESS

Admitidly I dont wheel that hard, and stock rigs have always worked for me, and though I have never needed a winch, I want one!
The advice to find a club is the best
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
caohvlady

Leave it to a Girl!

Hey all you guys - why is no one telling him "take a shovel"! My son & I have found this totally PRICELESS! It's cheaper than a jack. Survey the situation (what wheel is where) and let gravity work for you (head the problem point downhill). Otherwise - have a blanket and water available
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by caohvlady View Post
Hey all you guys - why is no one telling him "take a shovel"! My son & I have found this totally PRICELESS! It's cheaper than a jack. .....
cant change a blown out tire with a shovel.....good luck using your OEM jack on the trail

also the high-lift jack can be used as a winch of sorts, so its more use than just a jack

also digging yourself out isn't always the best tread-lightly approach

-----------
Doesn't-have-a-Jeep'n Greg
VISIT MY GUN STORE: http://www.AmericasBasement.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Old Hand

I forgot that I do carry a small folding military type shovel...mostly use for turning the coals in the fire, and a little in the snow, as with my other stuff, its under the back seat
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstbch View Post
99 Jeep TJ (no lift)
Dark Blue
32' tires
Wow, 32 foot tires with no lift! And it doesn't rub? I am just razzing ya', welcome to the club. Your 32" tires may not rub on the street, but they probably will off road without some kind of lift. A budget boost would probably do the trick without cleaning out your wallet. I would not worry about the bolt on goodies like brush guards right away. Instead take the Jeep on lots of mild trails and see what its (and your) limitations are. See what it can and can't do. Then you can better decide how to spend your money. Money's awfully hard to get these days...

Scott

"The devil is red, but his money is green."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode