Need 6cyl YJ radiator info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Need 6cyl YJ radiator info

I am putting my CJ grill and fenders on a YJ frame/tub. Most things are pretty straight forward but I've run into a roadblock at the radiator. Seems the YJ has a slightly longer nose, which means that with the CJ fenders and grill, the radiator wants to sit directly above where the hard lines come out of the steering gear and the outlet contacts the u-joint end of the steering shaft.

I have done what I can to get the CJ radiator lower into the grill, but have run against the steering gear and need at least 2 more inches. I am wondering if a YJ radiator would be different enough to make things work.

Can someone with a YJ radiator take some quick measurments? Or maybe someone here has been through this and can advise a different course of action. The CJ radiator I have is 19 inches top to bottom near each side (probably to clear the steering and grill support). It grows to about 21.5 inches top of tank to bottom of tank in the center section and is about 24.5 inches side to side. What's a YJ radiator measure out to be?

Any information and/or suggestions are welcome. I really don't wanna have a custom radiator built if at all possible.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Journeyman

Dogg the cj rad. is taller and thicker than the yj if you need a rad Dean (Motor) has one but it leaked!!!!!! anyways we could see if it fit the hole!!!!!

Gimmie a call

Tim

Why is it that after you get stuck everyone helps you out then tries to make it though the same spot???

85 CJ-7 /258/Hei/4" lift/33"x12.50 Baja claws/4.10 gears/tera-low/ F-Det, R-Spool / Lots O Goodies

03 TJ 4" lift 33" tires more mods to go !!!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Old Hand

You dont need round lights. They dont help you wheel anybetter

88 YJ SOA2.5" 2"BDY Locked F/R Chevy 4.3 NVG241OR 4.56's 36x12.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thanks Tim, I ran over to a buddy's a took a look at a YJ, looks like it is offset to the side of the steering gear and PS lines. Ordered a YJ radiator that should be here Thurs. Too bad, my 3 core CJ rad was only about 3 years old.

Even if I wanted square I only have the parts for round. So hopefully another hurdle is on the way to being crossed and I inch ever closer to pouring gas in for the shake down run.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode