My 89 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Talking My 89 YJ

So let me start out by saying I'm excited about my jeep. Although I must say I like the round headlights better.

They look alot more classic. I bought the jeep from my brother in law for $1000.00. The body is in great shape very little rust. I plan on getting it painted tho and replacing all the hardware with black powder coated stuff.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure where my jeep falls into the lineup. There are no pretty stickers on the hood no gold trim or what I onsider markings to be a limited edition type thing. It does have the factory alloy wheels. Although I want to change them to the black wagon type. I really like the way they look.

Looking at the dash, It has a tach on the left side of the steering column, it has what I onsider every gauge that would mean anything. The door to the glove box is broken and there is an aftermarket console in between the seats.

One question that I have is this. I am a little undertall, I noticed that there is an aftermarket seat on the drivers side. no adjustment for the back and no adjustment to slide the seat forwad so I can easily reach the pedals. I dont see the adjustment on the passenger side either.

One thing I noticed as well is the gas pedal sticks. I'm sure its nothing major but I didnt realize it when I test drove it.

The tailgate is pushed in so I will be replacing that.

I will be getting new front and rear black tube bumpers as well.

It has a brand new top and doors with the sliding glass in them he got that in september and he spent like 7 or 8 hundered on that. So he says.

All in all for a grand I cant complain.

So my questions are the following.

Where does my jeep fall in the lineup?
Are there seat adjustments?
How much should I pay for the wheels?
Where should I be purchasing my parts for the jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Welcome to the board! You'll have a lot of fun with your Square-Eyes, and take a little friendly ribbing from us Round-Eyes.

No telling where your Jeep is in the lineup. It all depends on which line you want to get in. You didn't say what engine, transmission and axels it has - that's what's most interesting to us because they determine how it works off road.

There were adjustments to the stock driver's seat, but not the passenger seat. It's hard to say what it might take to get adjusters back in. Some pictures might help. You'll have to find some stock seat hardware or build something out of junkyard pieces.

Those stock wagon wheels have gotten a might rare lately. Your Jeep should have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, so there are lots of choices. You can watch E-Bay, with the usual cautions, but the best thing would be to put a "wanted" post in the for-sale thread, and then be patient. You can also see if there is a Jeep club around you. Those kind of parts often go between Jeepers without ever showing up in classifieds.

There's no one best place for parts. Look at the sponsors of this board, check JC Whitney, compare prices and post questions here about specific parts.

As to the gas pedal sticking, there are several possible causes. Check the linkage at the carb, check the cable, and also check the knob on the end of the cable at the gas pedal. It can sometimes get cocked in the socket and cause a catch.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Red face My 89 YJ Specs

From what i can gather online. I have the I4 4cyl, Dana 30 Front and rear. Tranny im not sure of tho.

Thanks for the insight on the seat ill have to take a look around. Im depressed on the wheels does anyone make them aftermarket? Im sure no matter what ill be paying a mint for them.

Thanks for your input i really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM

They are available aftermarket. In fact a couple of years ago I took my wagon wheels to a shop to have them stripped and powder coated. They told me that for the same money I could buy new ones that looked identical, but I kept my stock ones for sentimental reasons. Seems to me that they were only talking about $40 a wheel or so. They're 5 X 5.5 bolt pattern, but that shouldn't effect the price.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode