OT: SIDESWIPED By Hit & Run Driver! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

OT: SIDESWIPED By Hit & Run Driver!

My dad has been driving my FSJ, an 86 Grand Wagoner I purchased for a tow vehicle for the little jeeps.
I'm doing some work to his little two wheel drive truck, and he likes to get in and more importantly OUT of the farm fields during planting season, which is now...

Last night, some bone head side swiped my GW while it sat in front of my dad's house!
Started at the left rear tail light and managed to get the entire side of it!
I had made bumpers out of 2" X 4" X 1/4" square tubing, whick really took a toll on this idiots vehicle, but this guy managed to pull the front bumper off on the left side, so the right front fender is wiped out too!

He managed to get 4 blocks away before the vehicle died...
The local cops tracked him by the parts falling off the vehicle, and the gouge he left in the pavment where the right front wheel of his vehicle was broken and tire flat...

http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/right.gif
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/leftrear.gif
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/leftdoors.gif

The guy spent the night in jail, now I'm sure his insurance company is going to give me six months of crap, then try and give me a tiny check for a 'Totaled' vehicle...

Any advice on how to handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"oh, my neck!" ?

That sucks, looks like it will be a "Financial Hardship" on your family not to have that vehicle!

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

That sucks, I suggest making the dip**** slip and fall, the law, well atleast MI law, isn't very hard on drunk drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I wouldn't worry about it...That'll buff right out...

Sucks...

Hopefully he has an insurance company to argue with. Might need to set him up as a target at your next machine gun shoot. You could sell tickets to help defray the repair costs...hunting humans is fun...

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 PM

At least they got him. (or at least your jeep got him ) I bet the bumper did a number on his. And hopefully he has insurance. Let us know how this pans out.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomodyj View Post
...hunting humans is fun...
Might be an inappropriate comment right now.

Is this the same 1986 JEEP GRAND WAGONEER WITH EXTRA PARTS that JYG bought on ebay for $1,026.23 and went to PA for? Add travel time, mileage and work performed.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Taz, It's pretty creepy you keep a file with all that stuff in it...
--------------------

Yup, that VA. Polytechnic shooting killed one of my favorite gun jokes...
A line from the movie, "Johnny Dangerously", Joe Piscopo's character (Danny Vermin) is talking about his new gun and says,
"It's an 88 Magnum, It shoots through schools..."

Here comes the latest war cry for gun control, and not crazy people control...

(...And yes, I root for the bad guys in movies!... Why, because it's a MOVIE you idiot!)
----------------------

Anyway, The bed liner paint has been the largest cost and trouble, but I'm still pretty upset about it.

My insurance company is like all insurance companies, pretty worthless...
But the two women that work in the office like me (I bring them 'treats' over christmas) so they are chasing this guy's insurance (or lack of insurance) down...

By midmorning tomorrow I'll know if he has insurance or not, and if not, the local cops have already told me they will allow him to make bail, then rearrest him for no insurance...

About 22, shaved head, thin as a rail, tattoos all over his arms and neck, had the Meth 'pox' all over his face and neck...
The local cops really like guys like this, especially since he left the scene, lied to them, and cussed out everybody while he was being booked, the woman that does the bail recommendations left him with $4,000 Cash only, no property to surety! He really made an impression on her!

Anyway, he's from KY, so trying to get a small claims suit paid from him will be damn near impossible across state lines...
Plus it will take me a bunch of time, effort & money to get a judgment that will just be ignored...
Believe me, I know that damn near no one from KY pays their bills. I've got about $100,000 in bankruptcy discharges and small claims skips in the last 10 years or so!

The partner of the prosecutor told me to see the prosecutor and have a restitution order attached to his plea deal.
(It may come in slow, but at least I'll get it...)
By doing that, if he doesn't pay me, the court will issue a warrant for contempt of court and they can revoke any suspended sentence...
Sure will save me a lot of time and money!

They are keeping a lot of the 'Dead Beat Dads' in jail here on work release and making them pay child support, wonder if I can get the same deal if he doesn't pay...?

Last edited by Junk Yard Genius; 04-18-2007 at 08:02 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Sorry JG.
Been there too.
My hit and run driver's Dad offered to settle out of court, so I wouldn't press charges. I offered, he could pay the estimated damage or buy outright at my price. He bought it. I don't think they can legally stiff you with that book value crap. It was your stuff which should be relpaced and it was hit and run.
Good Luck.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Quote:
...About 22, shaved head, thin as a rail, tattoos all over his arms and neck, had the Meth 'pox' all over his face and neck.
Yep....that would be a tweaker.....bet you a 6 pak that he does not have insurance...
Bet the car he was driving was a POS and/or not his...if it is his...does you state allow you to take it as restitution?

Regarding WV Tech....yea, I worry that the anti-gun idiots will use this as their poster child....if anything good comes out of it....maybe they will put something in place that would tag someone who shows mental problems like that as someone who should not be allowed to buy weapons....what everyone needs to realize...had he not been able to get a gun...he would have found another way to do his deadly deed.....potentially killing a lot more....

My prayers go out to all of those victims......

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Yup, this is a restution state.
That's how I had to get the money out of a bone head that tried to rob the garage.
Couldn't get in, so he used the lawn mower gas can and set my garage on fire!
Luckly, the gas burned off and the metal building didn't catch fire, but he sure was easy to find! The only idiot in the emergency room with second degree burns and his fingerprints on my gas can.

When he gets out, he gets to pay me for the damages. He's a guest of the state for another 3 or 4 years, so until then, I just have to eat the expense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode