Jeep w/4inch lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Jeep w/4inch lift

After years of working and restoring old chevy trucks I'm just now getting into the 4x4 world of offroading. Just purchased a 1998 jeep wrangler 2.5l 5 speed with what I believe is a 4inch lift and 35/12.5 baja claw tires. What can I do improve the ride? , what size tires should I use? My wife refuses to ride in it until the ride improves. I have installed new shocks and that did help but not enought to meet the boss's requirements. I have 4 225/75r15 on stick rims that could be installed but I'm thinking the jeep will look like it's standing on its tiptoes with too much wheel well space. I would like to know any recommendations you guy have.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_0414rocky0024.jpg (168.8 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Way Outta Control

look into regearing the front and rear differentials...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Would help if you could find out what brand of lift you have. If you have Rough Country or Superlift you can do better for the ride by switching to Rubicon Express Springs or Teraflex in my opinion. You could do even better by switching to their control arms also.

Alot of that rough ride is coming from the bigger more aggressive tires. All terrain tires could improve that somewhat. With my 37's when I used to run it on the road they only saw 20psi because 32 would beat your guts out, Not the greatest for heat reduction but I never had any problems.

You have to remember this is a Jeep not a luxury car the ride will never be great!!

Take her for a ride in a friends CJ or YJ then she will think the TJ is a Caddy!!!!!

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

thanks kentuckycrawler

Thanks for the info. Believe it is a superlift due to the painted over logo on the hood. I'll look into the different springs advice and the reduced psi on the 35's. That should help. Anyway to lower the lift w/out switching to a new kit?
Thanks again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Veteran

You can switch to 2.5" or 3" springs and that shouldn't cause any issues. The lower control arms should be made for a 4" lift but that shouldn't hurt if you want to go slightly smaller springs. You should still have stock upper arms.

If I was going with new springs I'd keep the lift and use a better spring.

Do you have any body lift on the TJ?

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

The springs should be no problem to change. Thanks for the advice. As far as the body lift goes , don't beleive it has a body lift but how would I tell? Is there a spacer between the fame and the cab? How can I tell what inch lift it has on the suspension?
As soon as the tornado warning expires I will start to work on jeep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_0414rocky0015.jpg (118.8 KB, 2 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Those 35" tires are not going to fit with a smaller lift. You are kinda pushing it as is. I bet you will have some rubbing offroad. Don't panic though,, 35's are doable with a 4" just ain't gonna fit any bigger without adding lift.

Long arm lifts will greatly improve the ride. But they are a bit pricy. Superlift is one of the cheapest and stiffest lifts made. This can be a good thing depending on what you want.

Bottom line is, it is a jeep it will never ride like anything else. If it goes down the road straight and dosent take wild ass hops at inapropriate times I would conciider the ride good.

One thing you might check is your control arm bushings. I have fixed several jeeps over the years ue to not properly torquing the control arm bolts thus prematurly wearing out the bushings or giving a crappy ride from moment one.

Leve must be haveing a seinor moment. The only thing a gear change is gonna do is improve power and exceleration. It has nothing to do with the way the jeep rides...

Maybee I missed something in the question..

Bet that hing is a dog unless it has had a gear change. It would have been 4.11 from the factory.

Best of luck.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Looks like factory control arms. Wonder if the jeep was properly alighned afterwords. Alot of alignment chops don't give the lifted tj's enough castor (I believe it is) and it causes alot of wander and jerk in the steering.
It should have a touch of toe in to run down the road straight.

Can you describe the handling problem?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

You are right Rio, the gearing is wrong with the small engine and the big tires. At first it wandered around alot but after I aligned the front end, it drove straight. The shorter springs and smaller tires should improve the ride and gearing greatly. When should spring clamps be used and what are the rules regarding their use?
I bought this jeep to drive to the beach and park in the sand. I still want to be able to manuver in the sand, and have a great street vehicle.
The tornado watch has been cancelled, the waves on the beach are large with 8 foot swells.
Thanks guys for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.
lumpster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_0414rocky0016.jpg (104.4 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not sure what you mean by spring clamps.

If all you want to do is go play on the beach I would search for someone with a set of stock rubicon springs and get a set of 31 10.50's 0r somilar 12.50. That would save you a good bit of money. But that is me. I had a set I would have given you but they went out on the scrap truck a few months ago.

I wouldn't think you would need a bunch of lift for sand, but a good traction patch would be good.

Unless I am wrong I was under the understanding that Rubi springs are the equivelent to a 1 inch lift. Does anyone know if this is right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode