Best Practices – Removing a Drilled Out Valve Cover Bolt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Best Practices – Removing a Drilled Out Valve Cover Bolt

Lucky me , I broke off a 1/4-20 valve cover bolt last week. I have been spraying KB Blaster for a week on this stuck bolt. I center punched it perfectly. Then I started with different size drill bits including the use of a 1/8” left hand bit hoping the bolt would walk itself right up out of the head. Ha, no luck. Ok, I have drilled a 11/64 inch hole now. I can’t go any larger in fear of cutting into the threads. I am guessing the only option left is an easy out? Or is there? If an easy out is the only way, what size should I use? I have not had any luck with easy outs. And I thought replacing the valve cover gasket was going to be a no brainer ……Thanks for the help.

1985 CJ with a transplanted 94YJ 4.0L motor, T176 tranny, mainly stock otherwise. ><>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 07:41 PM

You've tried my favorite trick - left-handed drill bits. An Easy-Out is the next step. Just be darn sure you don't break it off. If that doesn't work, drill it out to an #7 and run a tap into it.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Agreed. Be very careful when tapping it out, make sure you are straight-on, otherwise the threads in the head will be ruined, and that is not a fun fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Way Outta Control

Not to worry - much - if you do ruin the threads in the head. It's not a high stress - high strength pull anyway.

If you end up drilling it out too far - get a product sold at parts stores - I think it's made by Loc-Tite. It's a thread restorer.
It's essentially an epoxy - you put it in the hole, then put a new bolt in the hole that's coated with something that doesn't let the epoxy stick to the bolt. Let it cure, then back the bolt back out - poof - a new threaded hole!

I've used it a couple of times - thinking it wouldn't work - but I was amazed. I'm not sure how strong it is, but for a valve cover it should be fine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Guys for the input. Any particular sized easy out I should try?I will pay close attention JimLou not to break. as am not in the mood to get my masonry drill bits out. Rrich is this what you are talking about, http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...ead_Repair.htm?

1985 CJ with a transplanted 94YJ 4.0L motor, T176 tranny, mainly stock otherwise. ><>

Last edited by DuaneD; 04-15-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: missed url
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Yes, that's it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rich, I used that once before on a dash piece. It worked fine but I wasn't aware of the effects of heat and oil ect on it..

Be interesting to see how it works in this application!

I usually take it out to the diamiter of the tap drill size and re tap it, but that won't work in every situation. The epoxy threads would be great.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Way Outta Control

I'm sure it has to be "squeaky clean" when curing.
Flush the hole out with brake cleaner - then blow it out with shop air - brake cleaner leaves very little, if any deposits.

I've done similar to that stuff before I discovered it - but not as successful - with JB Weld.

I'd fill the hole with JB Weld, then stuff the bolt in the hole - After I coated the bolt with candle wax before inserting it. Hopefully the JB Weld would conform to the bolt's threads, but the wax would keep it from sticking to the bolt. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
That was when it wasn't going to be easy to do the following - mainly due to access.

But - I found it usually best just to fill the hole with JB Weld (the slow stuff, not JB Quick - you can't be in a hurry.) After it cured completely I'd drill and tap a new hole.
JB Weld in the proper application is neat stuff - you can even machine it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

I've used square bolt extractors with good luck when a spiral one wouldn't work.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

WOW Andy I had forgotten about my square extractors. The work much better. I am so apt to just drill them out, and forget about having the extractors. They doo work well.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode