OT: Machine Gun Shoot This Weekend! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

OT: Machine Gun Shoot This Weekend!

Knob Creek Gun Range

The semi annual machine gun shoot is in Knob Creek Ky. (just 30 mi. west of Louisville, Ky.) this weekend!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loading up some rifles, a couple hundred pounds of ammo (and an umbrella) and going to Kentucky on Saturday!
(and maybe staying for Sunday, depending on weather and how much money/ammo I have left!)

If any of you make it there, I'll be the fat guy with the terminal grin on my face!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM

You lucky dog! Have a great time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like fun. I'm heading up to VA for a blackpowder shoot. Musket and carbine and mortar and cannons oh my!

A bad weekend of wheelin', is still a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM

I had an open seat in a motorhome and a bed offered.......more like begging me. He goes to both each year. I had to pass as he leaves on wed. and I couldn't get the time off work. To add insult to injury I think my cowrker is thinking about going and offered me a seat too. Do to me being a wuss (and a new ar upper and m1 carbine this last weekend.......damn I passed up a CHEAP sa garand and lost it when I went back to get it ) I think I'll have to pass. I'd love to go and it would be great to meet you Aaron but don't think it's gonna happen this time. Do you go in the fall? I'm gonna try and plan ahead for that one. I just can't go to a show/sale like that and go there broke. It just wouldn't be right to drop a kid off at the willy wonka chocolate factory and tell him at the doorstep that he's a diabetic and can't eat a thing.

But I bet you all's gonna be some MUDDY SMILING mofos.

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Veteran

Knob Creek - been there many times when I lived in Louisville and have even been a few times since I lived here. I worked at the Kosmos Cement Plant that is only a few miles from it.

Have fun and soot the old car on the hill a few times for me!

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Yup, we have friends that have a table at the firing line, so I'm going to waste a couple hundred pounds of 9 mm and .308 ammo!

I'm looking for good deals on some parts for my latest creation, so those shows are always a good place to track down AR parts, and you can find good deals on some of the other stuff too!

(AR work provides the income for my turn bolt tack drivers, so I can't complain too much about 'em...)

Looking like we are on for Saturday afternoon and for the night shoot, but if it's supposed to piss and pour, I'm comming home instead of standing there wet and shivering Sunday...
(Sunday is when you can get the best deals, guys don't want to pack the stuff up and drag it back home... Money is much easier to transport!)

I don't have tons of cash, but I do need a few things, and the village idiot in the whitehouse & his oil war are producing military grade surplus parts in record numbers!
Some of it I buy and the servicable parts we send back to the middle east...
Pretty lame when the guys can't get gas rings for their bolts and stuff like that...

I need some flat top uppers for a couple of calaber changes and I usually find more than a few barrels in good shape, and some other small parts...

Anyone ever poked through some of the military vehicle displays or seen some of the parts these guys bring along to swap and sell?
Pretty good stuff!
I'd like to find a flat fender in reasonable shape... Something that isn't really restorable, but still in good enough shape to wheel and style with.
I've got some axles and a drive train just begging for a flat fender!...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

Aaron,
What is a good price for a used Armalite 223 REM M-15A2 in excellent operating condition? What should one look for when buying this brand and type of rifle? Thanks, Duane

1985 CJ with a transplanted 94YJ 4.0L motor, T176 tranny, mainly stock otherwise. ><>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

What you have is the civilian version of the M16A2.
It is a full length rifle with 20" barrel, solid stock (not a short stock) with the A-2 sights (Windage & Elevation adjustable rear sight).
The bulk of Marine & Army rifle companies are still issued this rifle, so anyone that wanted a authentic (but semi-auto and legal to own) version of those rifles would be interested in it.

Originally a Subsidiary of Fairchild Aircraft, Arma-Lite is the company that Invented the AR series of rifles, designed by one of the worlds most brilliant gun designers, Eugene Stoner.
Eugene Stoner is one of the big 5,
1. John Moses Browning
2. Benjamin Tyler Henry
3. Samuel Colt
4. Eugene Stoner
5. Mikhail Kalashnikov

And even though the company has been sold a couple of times, Arma-Lite still makes one of the finest examples of rifles made.
The company now makes it's home in Geneseo, IL. At exit 19 just north of I-80 in Illinois.

Ball park estimates would run as follows from what I've seen at local gun shows lately...
Between $750 and $1,000 if it's in 'Like New' condition with out the box or original factory paperwork.

VG or Very Good condition (minor wear from firing, but still pretty much new condition) will still bring $500 to $750, maybe more, with out box or paperwork in the correct situations.

New 'No Name' AR's are bringing $750 to $1,000 for no apparent reason I can see, and brand names, (Colt, Arma-Lite, ect.) are bringing $1,500 to $1,700...

AR-15 anything is going for outrageous prices right now...
I saw some pretty beat up examples at the gun show going for way more than I'd ever pay for them, and some were obviously pieced together going for new price!

I have no idea what's going on with the market right now...
Must be scared, xenophobic christians buying in record numbers because of the 9-11 thing and the crap going on in the middle east...

I just sold a run of the mill AR, noting special, just parts I'd taken off customers guns with a generic lower receiver, and I was asking $450 for it, but didn't have a price tag on it.
Good little shooter, but nothing special...
The three guys started trying to trump each other in front of the display booth at a gun show, and I wound up with almost a grand out of it and a half dozen magazines...!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advise, I did not realize they are going up in price so fast. I will keep my eye out for a OEM Armalite in G to VG condition.

1985 CJ with a transplanted 94YJ 4.0L motor, T176 tranny, mainly stock otherwise. ><>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Arma-Lite is the better shooter, but Colt is the most collected name, and Colt will command the largest prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode