motorcraft/holley carbs on a 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

motorcraft/holley carbs on a 258

Ive been reading lots of messages about ditchin the old carter bbd carb and installing a motorcraft 2100 or holley 350. Can anyone fill me in on the type of adapter I well need for my '84 cj7 258 intake. Several messages mentioned building your on adapterbut I think Id rather buy one. Any dirt on this topic would be gladly appriecated.DROP ME A LINE>... thanx [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: motorcraft/holley carbs on a 258

dont adapt, go with a new manifold (clifford or offy). as far as carbs are concerned, go with the motorcraft. they work on the trail better with less mods than the holley. if you go with the holley, double spring the float, run off-road needle and seat, add a vent whistle and pitot tube extension.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two things, first I made a BIG MISTAKE several years ago(I was just getting into Jeeps) and got the Adapter for the stock manifold for my 87 YJ and a Holley carb. This set up turned out to be so bad between the emission problems and running bad that the stock set up was better and I got rid of the Jeep. That was a close call because I almost gave up on Jeeps all together ( the Jeep Gods prevailed). Secondly I have a 4bbl Offenhauser intake manifold with a 500 cfm Edelbrock carb that comes with an off road Jet kit for sale. The set up was only used for 2 months and is almost brand new. I looking for $225 for the set up plus shipping. If you choose to go this route you will need to scrap the emission stuff and bypass the compuster get some advice on how to do this. If you really want that stupid adapter look in The Jeep Owners Bible by Moses Ludel in the modification section. Ther is a picture of this with a parts #. If you are intersted in the manifold and carb E-mail me at [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a freind of mine who ran a Offy 4 barrel intake with a motorcraft 2150 from a 304 and a set of headers, the jeep really came to life and became a true rock hound. I think that the MotorCraft carbs are the only way to go for ease of tuning and for all out rockcrawling. Just my 2 cents.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will the motorcraft carb bolt right to the manifold? How many cfm is it?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 12:37 AM

Can Someone please answer his question. I searched and also need/want the answer.

thanks
scott

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 01:31 AM

what does the carb seat on a 258 intake look like??

Ive got some 2bbl Holleys, and autolite 2100s...

they look like

[00]

2 symetrical holes evenly spaced within a rectangle?

probably no help.. BUT i tried...

a motorcraft 2100 flows way less than 500 cfm
a stock 258 cant possibly need more than 300 cfm under 5000RPM

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for T18a and hardtop!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 08:35 AM
cjjunkie

By looking at the throttle bore size and the venturi size i would guess at about 350 CFM,this is only a guess! I have one laying in the shop and have been wanting to get it on the flowbench but just havent found the time.
the holley that most use is a (list #4412) this would be a 500 CFM carb,in most circumtances this would be way to big for a 258,they do have a 350 CFM avaliable but i am not familiar with the number.

CJJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode