Engine off center? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Engine off center?

Is this typical?

I've got a 77 CJ-7 with a GM 350 under the hood. I first noticed it looking at the headers, but Looking closely at the centerline of the engine, sure enough, it's about 2-3" off center. I've got more engine on the driver's side. This throws a small wrench in my future exhaust plans, as I wanted to run side pipes just off the headers.

thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Engine off center?

That should be correct to have clearance for the front drive shaft. You should be able to pick up a set of fenderwhale headers for about $150 if your wanting side pipes!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the info. You saved me a bit of concern, and pointed me in the right direction for "matching" headers.
V/R, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

[ QUOTE ]
That should be correct to have clearance for the front drive shaft. You should be able to pick up a set of fenderwhale headers for about $150 if your wanting side pipes!

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't get any hits on Fenderwhale as a brand name. I'll probably just find a way to make mine work, but i'd like to see what's out there for this sort of application.

Thanks, Mark
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 AM

He probably means "fenderwell" headers, which dump outside the frame rails - not a good choice IMO.

The tightest place on the driver's side is between the bellhousing and the frame, which happens to be right where they put the brake valve. There's room for exhaust there, and you can move the valve if necessary.

On the passenger side the front drive shaft is the problem. Several guys on the board have gotten a pipe through there - DDawg, Thor and P Nut I think have done it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My SBC is offset to the drivers side about 1.5326"...I don't think you are offset as much as you think...1" off center looks like a lot more than just 1".

And as noted above, forget headers. They are high maintenance, high noise, High failure and highly overrated. They do nothing for your low end performance.

I would suggest a good set of Ram Head exhaust manifolds...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It is pretty normal to offset a motor when swapping it in. My 350 is offset 1.75" to the drivers side to clear the front driveshaft.
If you run a chevy 350, with a turbo 350 and a Dana 300, and your motor is not offset a little... you end up with real driveshaft clearance issues. I offset my motor in my jeep just in case I ever want to go to an automatic.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

[ QUOTE ]
My SBC is offset to the drivers side about 1.5326"...I don't think you are offset as much as you think...1" off center looks like a lot more than just 1".

[/ QUOTE ]
I must be using the "man ruler"; not necessarily known for its accuracy.

[ QUOTE ]
My 350 is offset 1.75" to the drivers side to clear the front driveshaft.

[/ QUOTE ]
My 350 is mated to a T-400 automatic, via an adapter plate. (That one made me scratch my head!) Turns out it's the factory transmission and has an AMC bell housing pattern.

Chances are I'll just leave these headers on. Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of putting some late 60's style muscle car side pipes on it. The engine/headers being a little off center means I'll have to be creative to make both sides come out the same.

Despite my weird ideas, thanks for letting me know the engine mounting is normal.

Olin 18 - I like your signature quote.

Thanks, Mark
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

My bad on the spelling up above but if your wanting the muscle car side pipes, you need to look at the set of Hedman headers for $169 at 4wheeldrive hardware. They done away with the collector gaskets on the bottom. I don't know what you would call it, but the collector now sleeves over the bottom of the header eliminating the lower gasket. Thats the only place I ever had trouble with.

Hedman - Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories & Tops by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I've seen those. I think that's basically what I've got, coming out from under the fender. They just don't account for that 'slightly off-center' factor. I'll make something work eventually. Adding the black side pipes is just a thought. I'll try and photoshop it first, just to see what proportions might look good.

If this link works, you can see a close up of the headers. Right now they take a hard 90 degree angle in and then another 90 degree back to get to the mufflers. That can't be very efficient.
http://lh5.google.com/image/mthatch/...JPG?imgmax=144

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode