Some cool 4x4 towns and moab info please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Some cool 4x4 towns and moab info please

I'm still on the hunt for a summer job. What are some cool 4x4 towns/ know any shops in those towns that do nice work? I'd like to live/ work some where in wheeling heaven, i'm spolied right now living 10 min. from trails. Also anyone know anything about moab besides it's 4x4 mecca? Anyone ever deal with moab 4x4 outpost or any of the other shops in moab?

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Some cool 4x4 towns and moab info please

Knoxville Tennessee would be ideal place imo. You have Windrock about 15 mins away, Tellico 1.5 hrs, Monteagle 1.5 hrs, Little Buffalo about the same as Tellico, Harlan Kentucky, 1.5 hrs, Sand mine and royal blue about 30 mins, and mountain city (known by several names) about 1 hr away. Uhwarrie isn't too far like 2.5, 3 hrs and then there is grey rock another 2.5, 3 hrs away and some places near Nashville like the Obed and Land between the lakes.

As far as shops there is Top Gun Customz, and Jim's off road and a mail order place called Windrock offroad or something similar. I don't know how they hire as far as summer work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

Denver.....lotsa excellent wheeling between 1 and 3 hrs away, look at www.colorado4x4.org, there are ALOT of very good shops here

Phoenix......same, look at www.virtualjeepclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Journeyman

Moab is more than a 4x4 mecca. In the summer it's jam packed with tourists from other countries, mountain bikers and hikers who hate motorized vehicles on the trails, locals who want to shut down all motorized land use, the highest gas prices in Utah all year long, high priced rent if you can even find a place. As far as the 4x4 shops, I do my own work so I don't need them and we now have 4 auto parts stores! No, i'm not trying to discourage you from coming here, just want you to know how hard it is to make a living and find a place to stay.

GM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:26 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Andy - you may want to look into Ouray and Telluride. Great towns, great wheeling. We found Telluride to be a real 'college-type-town'. String Cheese Incident was playing there when we were going through about 6 years ago, and the town was full of hippie-type-freaks living in busses and stuff. Maybe it's an easy town to find a place to crash for the summer. I'm not sure on the 4X4 shop factor, but I'd think you could work in a Jeep rental place washing jeeps or something --- there's a bunch of rental places. At least you'd be there.

Good luck
Sounds like a great summer!
Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gomoab. It's about a 50% chance I have a job allready lined up out there though I won't know till the middle of April. Thanks for the heads up on rent, you don't know anyone that would want to ret a room for the summer do you?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Journeyman

I don't know of anyone that has a rental. Most of them are managed by property management companies. Anasazi Realty Property Management: 259-6575 and Moab Property Management: 259-5955 are two I found in the phone book. The Moab Times on line has a rental info tab but was blank today. www.moabtimes.com

GM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode