Must have books for a wheeler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Must have books for a wheeler

What's in your garage library?

Some I have

Door Slammer the Chassis book, it's geared towards drag racers though has great suspension and cage geometery info

Machniery hand book, if you want to know it about bolts, cutting speeds, material strengths, it's in there

I can't remember what it's called, i think the directry of 4 wheel drives or something like that. Every 4x4 produced from 1960-2000, new price, motors and options, stock HP/ torque, std/ optional parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Must have books for a wheeler

how To Build Real Hotrods by Tex Smith. Has a lot of good info in it. Looking for a new copy as my old one is getting pretty worn. link here for chapter five - brake Systems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hustler
Ebony Juggs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

haulin ass
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Veteran

I like Petersen's Repair manuals. They are not written for a specific vehicle but are general. They offer detailed instructions on the common makes of components. For example they will give detailed instructions, with lots of pictures, on how to rebuild a common Ford, GM and Chrysler Transmissions and leave it up you to figure out exactly how to handle others. However, the instructions that are given do a great job of explaining not only what to do, but why to do it that way. So after reading how to rebuild each of the example transmissions you have all the knowledge needed to make up your own procedure for about any American made transmission. Right now I have <u>Petersen's Big Book of Auto Repair 1977 edition</u> which is a shop repair manual and <u>Petersen's Basic Chassis, Suspensions &amp; Brakes</u>. Both are aimed at cars but much of the information transfers to 4x4's. The latter book is more about how to design and gives history's of all components covered, before giving the current (1970's) state of the art. This makes for interesting reading for example did you now that many early power steering systems used methods much like the current "rock ram" idea. Also good are the old Willy's or Kaiser <u>Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles</u> ie short wheel base or the same for the "Utility Vehicles" ie Wagon and Pickup. These have great pictures, which have often been air brushed and touched up to bring out important details. Also they give excellent instructions on how to do many things which are not covered in many manuals. All three of these were less then $5 each with shipping from ebay. For any Car or Truck, with problems that are not electrical, I find myself turning to these rather then A Haynes or Chilton's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode