Read the Article:

Daimler open to partial sale of Chrysler

Post your thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Future of Jeep

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]I hate to see the job losses.
I know the lines are blurred, but I practice and preach; BUY AMERICAN [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast

I agree totally BUY AMERICAN. I will go out of my way to purchase parts, and major household items made in the U.S.A.
This is something that I have preached to my boys, and girls, ever since they were old enough to pay attention. I really don't care to see hard earned money being shipped out of the country. This is one of my greatest sources of irritation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Wow, doesn't sound good at all to me. It's early, but sure sounds like they want to be main stream and not got out on a limb to provide any kind of unique or niche vehicles. More four doors and "crossovers"... buy the way... who actually thinks a crossover is a good idea? Yeah, some look good, but they are basically station wagons without the extra room. Four door cars that have trunks with windows that aren't as fuel efficient. Geez! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

The big three American auto makers are in serious trouble and there is plenty of blame to go around.

To start with, the Auto Workers Unions has driven the cost of building an automobile by the big three to a totally unreasonable level. (Before you union guys get your panties all in a bunch, I WANT YOU TO MAKE A LIVING WAGE!) However the “extras” have gotten out of hand. Free health care for life and some of the other crap has made it too expensive to compete. (Try finding a Fortune 500 company that gives you FREE health care for life after you leave the company.) As such, the big three have to cut corners to meet the demands of the union, resulting in a substandard auto compared to the Japanese in many ways. If you will remember, the demise of the Scout was specifically caused by the Auto Workers Union striking IH in 1980. It simply made more sense to stop making Scouts than pay the union freight.

The big three have also had their heads up their a**es since the first oil embargo given to us by none other than the Iranians in the 1970s.(** see below) The cars they offered were big boats that got 7-8- miles to the gallon when Japan offered economy. The big three made no effort to change for the next 5 years, but by then the Japanese had gotten their foot firmly in the door and THEY HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK. Just look at the Toyota commercials for the Tundra (which really looks like a Ford truck at first glance). If one can’t see that they have launched a full out attack on the Ford F150 to unseat it as the best selling truck in America, you’re just not paying any attention.

My favorite bumper sticker from the seventy-

“Hungry, broke, and out of work? THEN EAT YOUR FOREIGN CAR!!"

Kriss

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img](No rice burners in my stable!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]

** (If you are too young to remember, there was a gas shortage when Iran reduced the amount of oil they would ship to the US to drive up the price per barrel. You had to sit in line for hours just to get gas if you could find a station that had it, and in Oregon you could only buy gas on an even or odd day depending upon the last number of your license plate. I was driving a 1947 CJ2A with a Chevy 350 stuffed under the hood and the stock 10 gallon tank under the seat. The most gas I could ever get at any one time was 10 gallons as it was illegal to fill cans. I spent a lot of time at home.)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Aprentice

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but it really sucks here in metro Detroit right now. A ton of homes for sale, many foreclosures, many other companies related to the Big 3laying off employees.....

Times are tough here.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Two particular statements in that article that I relate together
[ QUOTE ]
Chrysler also badly misjudged demand, leading to a big inventory build-up.

.... axing 10-20 per cent of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep models.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say, as Jeep was introducing the Compass, and the eleventy billion versions of the Wrangler, and Dodge introduced the Nitro (come on that's basically a 2wd Liberty)... I thought why? Why all these different models slam slam slam, one right after the other. That costs big money!

What happend to the Chrysler that stripped it's offices to the bare bones to save money and rebuild the company?

Sorry, I don't Blame it on the Unions, I think it goes back further than that to other social issues in this nation.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why all these different models slam slam slam, one right after the other. That costs big money!

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's really cheap, in relative terms, to bring out a re-badged, slightly modified version of an existing model. Bring out a bunch and with luck one or two will become a hit. Bringing out something completely new takes cubic miles of money.

Remember what saved Chrysler the last time? It was the 'K' car. A new platform that wasn't exceptional in any way, but let them produce dozens of variants including, I think, the mini vans. Some of them became big sellers and saved the company. That and cubic miles of money from the Federal treasury. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I don't Blame it on the Unions, I think it goes back further than that to other social issues in this nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The unions have to take a share of the blame, but there's plenty to go around. Maybe management could have fought harder to keep contracts in line. I say "maybe" because it probably would have taken a unified effort, including lockouts, with GM and Ford, and that probably would have brought anit-trust action down on all three.

Management might have also spent more five years ago on development of new models and improvement of existing ones. They could have more efficient models being brought out as the oil prices went haywire. If they had a crystal ball.

Ford and GM seem to be in the same lifeboats as DC, but theirs aren't shipping water over the gunnels. Yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Way Outta Control

It really isn't rocket science -- but politicians still haven't figured out how to steal from it, so they won't even consider it.

If you try to import electric saws to Japan, since Japan already makes those saws, they put a big import tax on it. The price plus the tax puts it more expensive than their home grown products. It's still available if someone there wants it, it's just more expensive.
2 things happen then - home grown products are protected from cheap imports, and the government gets revenue from those that are imported. Their entire economy is improved, unemployment is reduces, money stays at home, government has income etc.

Now for here in the US --
Many many things are no longer made in the US. Cheap imports have caused US manufacturers to close or move overseas. Many of those things would be produced here again IF they did not have to compete with cheap imported stuff.
The huge income produced by import taxes would be far larger than the IRS gets from you as personal income tax. And corporate taxes could be lowered, helping our own economy grow. Our government would actually have more money than they have now!

Sure, some of the things we buy now - like everything at Wal-Mart, would be more expensive at first, but as soon as the lag caught up, where products that are imported now started being produced here things would even out.

And if you no longer had to pay ANY income tax, you could well afford it!

And - since more people are employed, that alone stimulates the economy.

Other countries are smart enough to protect their own ecomomies - why can't we?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Now for here in the US --
Many many things are no longer made in the US. Cheap imports have caused US manufacturers to close or move overseas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mentioned Wal-Mart. At this point in your post I was thinking of the Think I call the Wal-Mart effect. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] good call Rich.

To add to that, The last place I worked was a Point of Sale Display Company. I designed the Displays you see in Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, the Grocery store, etc. We had the Capacity to Design, Print, Build, Create, Pack out and ship all of our Product. But did we? nope. The owner found it cheaper to design in house and then take the materials and customer products and ship it to China, have it manufactured, and packed out and then shipped back to the US for much cheaper than us. Even with us running "Import Labor".

Now the owner of my current place of employment is thinking of doing away with our "Made in USA" stamp on our maps so he can have our Maps printed in Peru. Our Printers just hiked our costs by 27%. Add to that some company that has Cartographers in India is offering Mapping services for as little as $7/hr. That's incroaching on my job now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode