Exhaust recomendations wanted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 AM
aallison

Exhaust recomendations wanted

UPS just dropped off my Tri-Y headers for my titled 74 cj5. Ebay deal. Everything under the body is a 76. Going on an AMC 304-T18-20. The headers are in frame. I don't want to rebuild the engine since it runs fine. However, when I rebuild, I'm building for torque. I want low RPM performance. I also like the rumble of a good sounding exhaust on a V8.

Most important, I don’t want to smell exhaust fumes. I've got wife and kids and they really, really don't want to smell exhaust all day.

So if you were doing what I am, what exhaust would you build? Types of muffler? Glass packs? I assume rear exhaust. Straight out the back? 90deg and out the rear wheel well behind the tires? Single exhaust? Duel?

Also, why would you do what you recommend?

I’m in Florida so no inspections or emissions.

Thanks………………….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Re: Exhaust recomendations wanted

If you want torque, ditch the headers and install stock manifolds. I am building that, a 2 into 1 Y into a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. Out the passenger side behind the rear tire. Straight out the back, you will have exhaust fume issues. I was going to match the manifild size for piping. Yes, this is pretty well stock except for the muffler. Choose Flowmaster, Summit etc. to your taste.
Brhino
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

For all of the objectives you noted, Headers will only make the problem worse....Headers and Torque do not go together....you want torque at low RPM's....headers don't really wake up until around th 60% + of the RPM range....

As Brhino said....ditch the headers.....

I'm running a 5.7L SBC and using ram head manifolds....right side wraps under engine and joins the left side into a Y tube just past the block...all of this is going into a single 3" exhaust with a turbo muffler....plenty of flow and a very nice rumble, but yet it does not bother me on long drives.

Though your headers might be 'in frame'...you will be hard pressed to get the exhaust down both sides....I have passenger side drop on the xfer case....there is NO room for an exhaust pipe....so headers will not work....not worth the trouble...hi maintenance...ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Way Outta Control

Check your local laws about glasspacks. I was going home from the muffler shop with a Jeep on my trailer - stopped at a coffee shop.
Got to talking with a BLM Ranger and a CHP - they were looking at the Jeep and told me glasspacks cannot be used on BLM or Forestry Lands.
No straight through mufflers at all!

I immediately took it back to the shop and we swapped it out for turbos.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Veteran

Tri-Y headers are supposed to help torque at low RPM however, I am not sure there is room in a CJ for them. Give it a shot. For best low end torque you want small pipe in the exhaust that keeps the velocity up. Your header tubes should be small and you want small pipe clear out the back. I would go to a Single pipe of 2.25 to 2.5" and single muffler as single seems to give better low end. Also space is very limited on the passengers side of 76ish (can't remember the exact year) and earlier cj's between the frame and T-case, as the frame was straight and was latter made wider toward the rear. As for the muffler vs. Glass pack, I personally dislike glass packs. They tend to be leave the exhaust sounding like a series of shape cracks, this is very hard on the ears and tends to cover up sounds of things going wrong like gears, bad bearings ext. I like the standard NAPA mufflers as these are cheap and the one I got several years ago was made by Walker. It had a Nice deep rumble with out being to loud. I have had good luck using pre-bent pipes to build my own. I clamped them together under the jeep and then removed the exhaust as a unit and mig welded the joints. If I did not have access to a welder then I would have just used clamps but I think it sounds better welded, this also prevents leaks. Most States required that the exhaust ends either behind the passenger compartment or back of the rear wheels. It may pay to look up your exact rules. Straight out the back is likely best as this was stock and there is very little room in the spring-tire-gas tank area to turn out the side.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Official Historian

I have dual exhaust on my jeep. It also has some interesting mufflers. They are round but not straight through and are quiet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1557277-53-689561-IM000055.jpg (66.8 KB, 24 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 PM
aallison

Thanks for the exhaust tips (no pun intended). I was under my Jeep today and looked at the exhaust. I think it's stock and it has duel exhausts, going down the inside of each frame rail with a smallish standard mufflers and exiting out the side just in front of the rear shackles. I guess it's better to stay with that set up after the headders are on. I understand the need for the small pipes. 2.25 or so. FLowmaster exhausts? THanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode