Cotton Candy and Welding? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cotton Candy and Welding?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The next time the carnival comes to your county fair, forget taking Brandi or Terri or Kandi, or Traci, or Cindi .....(Do you see a pattern? All cowgirls have names that end in "i".)........and spending a lot of dough trying to win her a teddy bear. Go by yourself and spend the day looking at the construction techniques that are used in fabricating the various rides. If you want to know how to make a tube joint, and weld it in a low-stress manner, and minumize the weld-affected zone, that's a good place to see how the pros do it. The gussets and the welding techniques on carnival rides are like looking at the final exam in a fabricatiuon methods class. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Cotton Candy and Welding?

Yep, I agree totally. Some of those guys are top-class welders. Worked for several of the traveling companies when they came through the area and watched how they did some of their on-site repairs. Weird part was most of it was done with ac stick units, cheapo ones at that.
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, I "broke" my family from going anywhere and expecting that I won't gawk at the mechanical/engineering side of things... they've learned to expect a 20-30 minute delay scoping out linear motion activation, control wiring, or the duals mounted to the front of an F450 4x4 hauling garbage off the beach! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I agree 100%. Most recent trip that sticks out in my mind.... St. Louis Archway. Wife lost me as I circled the huge structure just following welds and looking at seems. All I can say is WOW! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM

Yeah, and welding stainless without making it wrinkle up like an old raisin is a 24 carat beotch.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

Good to hear I am not the only one that looks at this kind of stuff. I do it everywhere!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

My wife almost beat me with a stick at the St. Louis Arch. I

spent most of the time there calculating the actual amount of

weld that went into the thing. Then when we actually went up

to the top, I really embarrassed her by sticking my face in

the window of the elevator car trying to watch the mechanism

work. I know it's not a normal thing to do, but sometimes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Novice

I'm guilty of the same thing. I'm constantly looking at how things are manufactured driving my wwife and family, (except the son in Engineering college), crazy.
My teacher in the Welding Inspection Level II Course that I took always said that his wife hated to go to an amusement park with him because he would inspect the welds on the ride then forbid his children to get onto the ride. I'm not that bed, but I always wonder......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Way Outta Control

Back in the 70's I'd spend my time on the Washington State Ferries commuting from Pt. Ludlow to Everett below decks with the Chief Engineer. Man, now that was the way to commute. I'd jump on the Kawasaki and roar off... and couldn't hear a thing. Those diesels were LOUD. But what fun!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:17 PM

Good to hear they are built and repaired right. There are also a lot of fasteners on those rides. Hopefully all tight.

I see a lot of bad welding on structures as well. There is a mountain equipment co-op store here in Winnipeg that has a climbing wall inside the store. Its is several stories high and goes through the inside of the store next to the second story staircase. Some of the welds look like pigeon droppings. Someone that didn't know what they were doing was obviously trying to mate thick and thin together piled booger welds onto the heavier stuff. Its a wonder it can support its own weight. Exercise equipment made in china is the worst stuff. They obviously don't pay any attention to weld distortion. They weld one side of something, the other side lifts, then they fill in the gap, leaving everything crooked. Only saving grace is its cheap enough they'll give you another piece, no questions asked.

Anyone know what they welded the roll bars on 80's CJ's with? Mine has the oddest looking welds. They look almost sunken. Very little buid up on the surface, almost like a crater in the middle of the weld. Robots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode