This is getting ridiculous- cold starting issue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

This is getting ridiculous- cold starting issue

To date I've replaced the starter, battery, coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I've installed a dual battery set up and engine block heater too.

This morning it was -20º outside and the block heater had been on for like 3-4 hours and the damned starter still was acting up. I turn the key (feels like turning through molassas) and the starter free spins without turning the fly wheel. A couple of tries later and it's spinning and then clashing teeth, and then a couple tries later it finally starts.

I'll be pulling the new starter on Saturday and having it tested just to be sure, and I'll even test the one that I just took off and put on my son's Jeep. I suspect the starter won't be the issue.

So does ANYONE have any idea's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: This is getting ridiculous- cold starting issu

Hi John....kept meaning to email you and see how it was going up there? Cold is it? I guess you now understand the meaning of "Where men are men, women are scarce and the sheep run scared".

Block heater won't do much for the starter if it's real cold....sounds like maybe the grease in it is not allowing the solenoid to kick the gear into the flywheel.

That V6 does not take up a whole lot of room...hence, air is free to circulate around and keep the engine cold...even with the block heater. I would suggest a car cover for the jeep to help keep 'some' of the heat in....

Did you ever buy that house up there? I thought it had a 3 car garage?

All well on this end....haven't had time to redo the cross member on the CJ yet....too busy with other stuff....like trying to rebuild the garage...

Suzy and I are going to the Bash....you are not that far away...ya coming?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM

Re: This is getting ridiculous- cold starting issue

Hey Minot ND, that's my home town! I don't miss those -20 and -40 degree days! Around here we don't usually get below -10 or -15 degrees, rarely. Anyways, have you checked you flywheel? Sounds like some teeth are broken off or the starter isn't fully engaging them.
Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Official Curmudgeon

That is typical of the oil leak at the back of the valve cover. Oil get into the Bendix. Oil gets thick and sticky in the cold. Bendix doesn’t extend. The oil also holds dirt and makes matters even worse.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yes we bought the house, but it's a 2 car garage and the WJ and my son's project Jeep are in there.

I'll be checking the flywheel when I pull the starter on Saturday, but that doesn't make sound right to me since this is strictly a cold start issue.
There's no oil dripping anywhere near the starter, the old one came off clean.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Way Outta Control

Have a real close look at the battery cables. Make sure they are BIG cables, and the crimped ends are tight - and no signs of corrosion.
Make sure the ground goes to a good tight engine ground.
You may even try loosening, cleaning all the connections too.
Sometimes the crimps get resistance inside.

Next time it cranks hard and you've cranked it for awhile - quick feel each connection on the cables and along the cables themselves. If you find ANY part that's warm, it's losing energy there due to resistance.

If any connection has high resistance, the voltsge to the solenoid becomes low, and it won't click in. At regular temperatures that solenoid needs about 40 amps to operate - cold - much much more. It's possible when everything is stone cold there's electrical resistance, but trying a little the bad connection heats up and the resistance drops.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I thought of that before, and the power lead to the starter was already upgraded to a 0 gauge wire that I had custom made just a few weeks ago. I haven't done the ground yet, but it's getting done this weekend for sure.
Good thinking on the "test" for resistance. I'll do that, and can even just use my temp gun to see if there's an increase while I let my son crank on it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Journeyman

Is this a starter that need 2 be shimmed?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

It's shimable (is that a word?), and that's not a bad idea really
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Your battery uses a chemical reaction to provide the power. Colder temperatures slow down the reaction. Unfortunately that means the battery provides the least amount of power when you need power the most. The battery warms itself somewhat as power is drawn from it but would provide less power on the first few uses. You might try one of those battery warmers at those low temperatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode