Tell me what you think of the flex. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Tell me what you think of the flex.

Its SOA with 2" springs and 36's How do you think it looks?
I still need to ramp it.
I know flex is not every thing but on big rocks it helps.

Me flexing on a Rock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Tell me what you think of the flex.

It looks good to me!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Is that the best you can do?

LOL...looks real good...don't you just love SOA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks... Yes I do..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 AM

It looks good enough to me, my "test" is if i can get my front tire up on one of the cement light pole bases,(about 3' tall) at the parking lot we meet at to go wheeling, and keep the rest of my tires on the ground.

With lockers flex is over rated but your suspension still has to work, my buggy's rear suspension for a while brealy worked and I'm pretty sure it lead to atleast 1 flop and lots more close calls. I revamped it and it was decent it would lift a tire and then drop it, i think i was hitting my bump stops and then comming back to earth. I was going to try moving the bump stops but I started a new rig instead.

I'd much rather have a suspension that works decent and isn't super scarry on the road/ high speed stuff then one that can ramp 4 million. I think lots of people are way too stuck up on numbers such as ramping 1000, 12" of lift, 55" long 4 link bars, 20" of wheel travel, 39" of clearance under the rockers. There's very few #'s that really matter in my book, pretty much wheel base, dif clearance, belly clearance, and overall height. We kinda have a running joke in our club who has the tallest rockers, it doesn't matter 99% of the time and 1 member doesn't seem to get it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Way Outta Control

Hey Andy, your post got me thinking... and that may be a bad thing... Have you ever thought about doing an articulated frame? I've only seen a few of them, but the flex and rotational movement of front/halves of the frame and body are awesome to watch. That's a fabrication challenge for you!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 AM

I've seen a picture or 2, way too many gimicks for a redneck like me. I like my junk to be simple, for some reason i'm putting coils in the front of my rig and this new rig has an automatic, that's way too many "things to break". Rear steer is another "gimick" that's cool but is just another thing to break. I like to make junk as simple as possible, that's why I loved the buggy, there was nothing too it but i'm a whimp and need some creature comforts.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Way Outta Control

There's alot to be said for KISS!

Flex - good to a point, but often overdone.

Think about this --
Drop a front wheel down into a hole - say it's three feet deep with vertical sides. Your wheel is barely touching the bottom now while the others are fine (typical in big rocks.)

Now the problem - to retrieve it, that wheel must climb the vertical slope in front of it - straight up. It's too much of a climb for just a rolling wheel - it has to be actively turned by the axle to crawl up. To get traction on that vertical surface the other wheels have to push the dropped wheel against the verticle wall hard enough to get traction. That puts an awful lot or rearward stress on that wheel's suspension - that's problem # 1 - suspension breakage, tie rods etc.

Now think - the other 3 wheels have to push forward hard, they are going to roll only a few inches forward - say 4 inches before the dropped wheel is up. But the dropped wheel is going to have to roll 36 inches (up) plus the 4 inches (forward) at the same time.

Hmmm - the opposite wheel on that axle has to move 4 inches while the dropped wheel has to move 40? That requires an open diff to let that happen.
Turn on the locker (IF you even can turn it on and off) axles have to turn equal amounts - else something has to give. Either the tires have to slip (meaning you aren't climbing out of that hole,) or you get to hear that dreaded "SNAP" - axle, locker, hub, ring and pinion etc. Hmmm again meaning you aren't climbing out of that hole.

If it doesn't droop anywhere near as far, it doesn't have to be retrieved as much. I'd rather let it hang in space with the locker putting power to the other side to get across that hole - within reason of course.

Maybe someday I might come across a ramp in the desert or mountains that fell off a Hummer while he was going home from a parking lot - I may change my thinking then.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Your are exactly right. Not to pick on TJ guys but it seems a lot of them have super flexy suspensions and are really worried about rubbing. Their excuse is they have open diffs and need all the flex they can get. Now the differance in $$ between all their bling bling ramp flex suspension and a much less flexy and cheaper suspension and a pair of lockers is probably about the same or even cheaper. If you just wheel in dry rocks and have a super flexy suspension and open difs you might be alright. If you wheel on trails/ mud/ hills where I do open diffs and a flexy suspension is a good way to spot a mall cralwer that's never really wheeled. Traction is usually lacking and all 4 tires spinning is the way to go.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

true. But dont forget that most of the Hard wheelers Air down alot. And that aired down tire can take alot of that 4" How ever it helps if the tire has the sidewall to puss in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode