selectable lockers who makes them. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

selectable lockers who makes them.

I havent paid much attention to the selectable locker market for about 6 years. When i built my front 44, i was thinking about a selectable locker, but ran tight on cash and just rebuilt a factory dana posi. It worked fine in the mud and hill climbs we have around me, but not long after that i hit the rocks and the posi just doesnt cut it.

I dont want a full time locker in the front.

I need new axle joints so i figured while i am that far i may as well finish the job and change out the carrier.

So which selectable lockers are on the market?? and tell lets here your storys about what you have or have seen.

Thanks ahead of time...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: selectable lockers who makes them.

I put in ARB's front and rear last spring. They are expensive but I love them and wouldn't even consider anything else. I've heard the horror stories about air lines coming loose etc, but no problem so far. I think it's all in the installation. Use your brain and be careful with the install and you'll be alright.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Old Hand

Ox-loacker all the way for the front.... I beat the hell out of it and its holding up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Here's a link that shows most lockers available except the Teraflex T-Locker: http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ath/470_496_22

Here's a link regarding the Teraflex T-Locker:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ker/index.html

I chose ARB's for my front and rear D-44's that now reside on my brother-in-law's Jeep. I also have purchased ARB's for my newly shortened D-60 front and D-70 rear, http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s.../0#Post1525095. ARB has been around the longest and has been refined over the years to allow for a very trouble-free operation when installed properly.

All the others are the new kids with different designs to do the same thing.

Ox had problems that put them out of business. After resurfacing with new money, their product has also been refined, but I've read that the engagement and disengagement is not exactly effortless.

I personally didn't want a unit that acts like a posi when unlocked, as they are less safe on ice than an open unit. ARB, Ox and I believe Teraflex all act as open diffs when unlocked.

Regardless of whichever unit you choose, make sure that the air line, cable or wire that activates it is tucked out of harms way.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Old Hand

OX

Less you have a very very weak arm. Engagement and disengagement is just that effortless.
I have an Ox and I know 2 other that have them and there all TipTop.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I havent paid much attention to the selectable locker market for about 6 years. When i built my front 44, i was thinking about a selectable locker, but ran tight on cash and just rebuilt a factory dana posi. It worked fine in the mud and hill climbs we have around me, but not long after that i hit the rocks and the posi just doesnt cut it.

I dont want a full time locker in the front.

I need new axle joints so i figured while i am that far i may as well finish the job and change out the carrier.

So which selectable lockers are on the market?? and tell lets here your storys about what you have or have seen.

Thanks ahead of time...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been runing ARB's for 7 years.
they have incredibly good customer service. when the axle shaft took out the case half, I called them and for $80 they shipped me a case half andI got it the next day. Every time I call them they are easy to deal with and very helpfull. This is worth a lot to me.
I just ordered a 35 spline d-44 ARB for the rear of my jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have to vote ARB as well....I have never had any issues....plus, the air compressor comes in handy to air up the tires...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I will add another plug for ARB. I put ARB's in the front and rear D44 in my Jeep about a year ago, and Love them. Without question I would make that choice again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Auburn Gear Ected Locker is the cheapest of all selectable lockers. Availability was a problem when they were first released, but now most distributors can keep them in stock. It's electronically activated so no air hoses to leak or air compressor to maintain. The OX is a great product, but much more expensive-figure about $850.

I've only seen a few on the trails, but they seemed to work well. The shop I work at has one for a D44 for sale for $560.

Some more info:

Auburn Ected
The Auburn Gear Ected uses a switch operated electromagnetic ring retained under one of the bearing caps inside the differential housing. The ring activates a pilot cone that causes bearing balls to ramp up against the side gear and lock up the differential. The Ected can be switched on or off on the fly. While not engaged the Ected is a clutch driven limited slip differential. The unit comes complete with a wiring harness, rubber grommet for the cover tap, solenoid unit and switch.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Way Outta Control

The only issues I've had with ARB's were not operational.

The airline fittings - Australian Metric or some other "not" available size.

I put one in my Tracker - one axle wouldn't fit. Talked with customer service I was told "they usually don't fit! You have to machine the axle down!" They said they've known about that for years.
Why would they sell something that they know won't fit?

Then, looking at it - the "machined" surfaces inside - super rough, looks like instead of a lathe they used a drunk with a hand grinder! Very poor workmanship, you'd expect that from India or Pakistan, but --. They managed to prove that Australia is still a third world country.

But they work - in spite of themselves.

Next project I'll use OX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode