Steering rod ends ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Steering rod ends ?

OK I have a stupid question. Im trying to tie my steering together on my full width axle swap and want to build my owne links/rod ends. I was looking at the tube inserts at the poison spyder sight and I know I need a right hand and left hand thread on each link. The drag link will be both 1 ton rod ends so thats a now brainer but the one running from the wheel to the pitman arm will be 1 ton at the wheel and jeep at the pitman arm. So my question is, Does it matter which one is left or right hand thread? My thought is no but just want to make sure before I order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Steering rod ends ?

Nope, doesn't make any difference. FWIW, I made all mine right hand so I only have to carry 1 spare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

not sure about this or not.. it's been awhile.. but you can use a waggy pitman arm.. and use a 1 ton drag link arm.. i know i did.. not sure if i reemed it out or not.. i think i did... that way you have the beefy stuff all around.. if you go to my website.. i have the part numbers to the tie rod and drag link ends there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, doesn't make any difference. FWIW, I made all mine right hand so I only have to carry 1 spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem with that is having to take the TRE loose somewhere to adjust toe in/out or center the steering wheel. That's why there is one left and one right hand thread with a coupler... Just loosen the coupler and turn to adjust.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] In my case pry beat and bang the tie rod so that it's sorta straight and then readjust. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Lots of ideas on the Pirate site (with part numbers).

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Way Outta Control

Slightly OT but pertinent -
Anybody that goes off road and DOESN'T go to a heavy tie rod and drag link should go ahead and slip a Hi-Lift Jack handle over their weak stock one and save everyone lots of trouble of doing it on the trail.

Yup, did another one today!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem with that is having to take the TRE loose somewhere to adjust toe in/out or center the steering wheel. That's why there is one left and one right hand thread with a coupler... Just loosen the coupler and turn to adjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, I used all heims, so there aren't any pesky tapers to worry about being frozen in place. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I would like to go with a bigger rod end at the pitman arm. If the waggy is bigger then I have sittting out back. Anyone know of another pitman arm that will take a bigger rod end and fit steering box. Im realy getting tired of paying all the shipping cost on all the stuff I've been ordering. You can call me cheap but Im over 7k into this little project and cant realy see where it is except for the tires sitting under it. After this, all I left is shocks and drive lines and the little stuff I've over looked.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Slightly OT but pertinent -
Anybody that goes off road and DOESN'T go to a heavy tie rod and drag link should go ahead and slip a Hi-Lift Jack handle over their weak stock one and save everyone lots of trouble of doing it on the trail.

Yup, did another one today!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I know someone that needs to replace the "Hi-Lift Jack Handle" with something better but just keeps on wheeling it (Silly Fat Boys). Seems to be working for him for months now.

<font color="red">If you know Derrek - send him a link to this thread.</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

Not off OT at all RRich, that's just the way folks are.

Again check out <u>Steering Research</u> on Pirate4x4. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Very good stuff.

Or a few more:

<u>Steering links on FBJ</u>

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode