Jeep – Looking for the next project. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Jeep – Looking for the next project.

I’m kicking around the idea for my next project vehicle. A Jeep of some type seemed like it might hold interest. I’m looking at a CJ 5 or CJ 7. I’m not actively looking, but should I run across something I’d like to be armed with some knowledge.

Are there any years, motors, transfer cases, axles, transmissions that I should avoid? Anything I should really keep my eye out for? Where should I look for rust on the body/ on the frame? I’d like to avoid buying something, only to discover I’ve got a pile of junk on my hands.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Jeep – Looking for the next project.

You ask a very good question...so many options....so many choices...

I would break it down into two major choices....do you want to do a major project, or start with something that is close to what you want. A lot also depends on your mechanical abilities....and how much money you have...(we ALL have that problem)...

If it were me...I would go for a TJ with the coil suspension.....a YJ or CJ has leafs....which the first thing I would do is SOA....but the coil spring only takes a slight modification to out perform the leafs.....

After having done a SBC swap into my jeep....I'm not bothered about doing it again....but, the 4.0 later models is a great engine....if it's in good shape, I would not replace it...but it it had a carb....then I would be looking to go with an engine that had FI....

You want a good starter....Rubicon....if you have the money....

Next would be an 82 to 86 CJ...D300 xfer case....then replace the engine with a V6 or V8 with auto...then go from there.....

Or, maybe we can put it this way...YJ or older....don't worry about engine and tranny...replace it with what you want...TJ and newer...if it's a Rubicon...your good to go...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 AM

CJ7s didn't get a fully boxed frame until '77, I think.

CJ5s prior to about '74 had a completely different body, with a shorter hood and a square windshield frame. There aren't many new body parts available for them, and old good parts are rare. The old 5s also had funky steering.

The fully-boxed frames rust first through at the front bottom of the rear wheel arch and where the rearmost crossmember attches to the rails.

All CJ bodies rust everywhere, but the first places to come through are usually the double panels on the front fenders and just in front of the door openings.

My personal choice for a starting point would be an old 5; they're slow and cranky, but wonderful. I would mainly restore it. The only significant mods I'd plan on would be rewiring, a PTO winch and a granny low four speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

thanks for the advice.

what ever i got would have to be 20 or 25+ years old to get classic insurance. so, i'm kind of stuck old. for me fixing up an old jeep is not a question of skill or tools, mostly time. my current project has sat with a new long block half installed for 6 months.

I know you can get fiber glass bodies and replacement steel bodies. Are they any good? If i found something at the right price with a bad body I could do a body swap. I’ve come across very nice fitting weld in replacement panels, and others that are not even close. A high quality replacement body would be great, but are the replacements even any good?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think this is a good question, that mostly comes down to personal chioce. But it is good to have some ammo when deciding.
Since your question was CJ5, or CJ7 I will focus on those. But if I were you I would not rule out a YJ, or a TJ.
I am kind of on the Tall side. At 6'-1". I have been in a CJ5 a few times and I felt kind of cramped. It feels small inside of one. So if it were me, I would foucus on a Later modle CJ7, or if you can find one a CJ8. Look for a 7 from later than 82. This will get you a boxed frame, a D300, and a 258. Those are all good things. CJ's were all leaf sprung, and the after market options are endless. A beautiful place to start.
If I were you I would not rule out a YJ. They came with the FI 4.0, they make good and consistant power, an AX-15 is a pretty good mid size trans, and the NP231 can be made to work quite well. A SYE is a great add on.

Get a Jeep that you feel is right, modify it as you like, and have some fun with it, you can't go wrong.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM

My $.02, I have an 86 CJ7, I got lucky and it came with a Dana 44 rear. This was an option this year. The YJ will have less rust, from what I've heard it has a galvanized frame.

Here's a web site that might help web page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:06 AM

What's the overall goal of the project? Driver? All purpose wheeler? Hardcore rock crawler? If i wanted to do another all out jeep for wheeling just about everything and a little road driving. I would find a solid tub/ body, then acquire a drivetrain probably a TBI chevy motor, either 700r4, nv4500, or sm465, dana 300, chev 231, or a bling bloing aftermarket t-case, a d44 or 60 front, 9" 44 or 60 rear, figure out what suspenion and wheel base I wanted and build a frame, then find a jeep for dirty cheap for little parts or even in an envelope (just for a vin/ title) and start peacing one together to be exactly what I want. It's some times a lot cheaper/ easier to piece stuff together but it can also be a pain, just have to be resourceful. I look at it as i'd probably swap out the drive train and spend $3,500 on a solid running driving jeep when I can spend $500-$1000 on a solid body and a vin doner and then start buying the rest of my drivetrain parts.

If you have $$ but no time look in an aftermarket frame with the suspension, body, and motor mounts you want and either a solid tub or aftermarket steel tub. Drop the body off at the body shop to get painted, order the frame galvinzed or painted, buy a set of ready to go axles (geared/ locked/ cleaned/ painted/ re-build), buy a garuentted to be good or remaned motor/ trans/ t-case, spend a weekend a you can go from a pile of parts to a roller.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Official Historian

[ QUOTE ]
The YJ will have less rust, from what I've heard it has a galvanized frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Body, not frame.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM

If I were going to do it again I'd buy an aftermarket frame and a 4wd Hardware fibreglass body. Then I'd buy a rusted out wagoneer with narrow track axles to get the drivetrain. Would I really need anything from an actual CJ or YJ?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would I really need anything from an actual CJ or YJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not absolutely, but it would be nice to have instruments, wiring harness, seats, hinges, heater & controls, headlight buckets, grill support rods, battery box, seat belts, glove box door, and a hundred other little things. Some might be on the Waggy, but many more won't. An old CJ will probably be cheaper than buying all of those little items. And there might be a lot of them you can't even buy new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode