OT- Outboard Motor News, - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

OT- Outboard Motor News,

Thought some of you fellas might be interest in this:
Specially the phasing out of Small & Large block GM motors.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Winter 2007 issue of OUTBOARD NEWS, an electronic newsletter for the outboard enthusiast.

INDUSTRY NEWS

Not much has changed from last year in terms of outboard motor technology. Horsepower has reached a plateau of 300 HP, and prices are exceeding $20,000. Sales volume is about 350,000 units. If divided equally among all the manufacturers, that would be 50,000 units each. Not a big number.
A little off-topic, but still interesting, are the changes coming to stern drive and inboard engines. The small block and big block GM V-8 and companion V-6, which have been around for 40 years, are planned to become obsolete and will no longer be manufactured for use in cars and trucks. That means relatively cheap horsepower coming in the form of high-volume automotive production will be a thing of the past. The exception may be one or two models like the three liter in-line four cylinder. These are used in cars and made south of the border.
State and Federal regulators will require catalytic converters to be sandwiched into the exhaust system downstream from the exhaust manifold. These catalytic converters will be cooled and wrapped with insulation, because they take up space in the engine compartment and raise ambient temperatures.
One alternative to catalytic converters might be direct fuel injection (DFI), which has been shown to significantly reduce carbon monoxide in the exhaust. This technology has the potential to eliminate the need for catalytic converters. Several foreign car manufacturers are already using DFI on their gasoline engines, as are the two-stroke outboard builders. Putting the fuel in the cylinder only after the ports or both intake and exhaust valves are closed is the way of the future for reciprocating internal combustion engines.

SERVICE

Ethanol as a fuel is becoming ever more popular, and there has been much uncertainty over its effect on marine engines. We will begin some questions and answers on the subject, with the information provided by Mercury Marine.

1. What are ethanol and ethanol-blended fuels?

Ethanol for fuel is highly refined beverage(grain) alcohol, approximately 200 proof, that can be produced from natural products such as corn, sugar cane and wheat. New technology will allow ethanol to be made from "cellulosic" feedstocks including corn stalks, grain straw, paper, pulp, wood chips, municipal waste, switchgrass and other sources. Ethanol used for fuel has been "denatured" or rendered unsafe to drink by the addition of a hydrocarbon (usually gasoline). The ethanol-blended fuel E-10 refers to fuel that contains 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline. Similarly, E-85 contains 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline. E-85 is intended only for engines specially designed to accept high-ethanol content fuel blends, such as the Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFV) made by some car companies.

2. How is ethanol made?

In the US, ethanol is typically produced by removing the starch or sugar portion of corn and fermenting it. The fermented starch is then distilled into alcohol. Excess water is removed, resulting in very pure-200 proof- ethyl alcohol (ethanol).

3. What are the characteristics of ethanol?

Ethanol is an oxygenated hydrocarbon compound that has a high octane rating and therefore is useful in increasing the octane level of unleaded gasoline. The EPA has allowed the use of ethanol in gasoline at levels up to 10 percent as an octane enhancer and to provide beneficial clean-burning combustion characteristics that help improve some emissions.
Ethanol is hygroscopic (it has an attraction for water) and will more readily mix with water than with gasoline. It has different solvency behaviors than does gasoline, which allows it to loosen rust and debris that may lie undisturbed in fuel systems. And it can more readily remove plasticizers and resins from certain plastic materials that might not be affected by gasoline alone. Loose debris will plug filters and can interfere with engine operation. Additionally, ethanol is corrosive to some metals, especially in combination with water. Although gasoline does not conduct electricity well, ethanol has an appreciable capability to conduct electricity and therefore can promote galvanic corrosion.

4. Does ethanol affect horsepower or fuel efficiency?

Ethanol has a heating value of 76,000 BTU per gallon, which is approximately 30 percent less than gasoline. The result is E-10 gasoline which should yield slightly lower mileage- a decrease of about 3 percent. Fuels containing higher levels of ethanol will have a corresponding reduction in mileage. For example, E-85 fuels produce mileage about 30 percent less than gasoline. The octane rating of pure ethanol (200 proof) is about 100 and is therefore useful in elevating the octane value of gasoline. In E-10 blends the presence of ethanol provides about 2.5 to 3 percent of the overall octane rating. The effect on engine horsepower is determined by the octane result of the blended fuel. Care should be taken to select fuels having the octane rating recommended for the engine as indicated in the owner's manual for proper operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT- Outboard Motor News,

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] That is one of the best explanations that I have seen to date as to the charactristics of the "new" fuels. The motoring public....who doesn't even understand the basics of FWD in most cases.....has NO IDEA what is what as far as the new fuels go. I attended a John Deere tractor clinic not long ago, and fuels were a big part of the presentation. Fuel, fuel storage, fuel additives, it's an entirely new field of expertise that we now have to acquire. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I hadnít heard about the GM engines becoming obsolete. I did hear that they were going to aluminum blocks rather than iron.

I ainít putting a lot of faith in the ethanol fuels. A while back I commented that I didnít want my fuel source competing with my food sources. Since then the price of corn has gone way up. Itís doubled in the last year. There may be other factors involved.

There seems to be another problem too. Itís seems that the honeybees are dying off from some form of aides. The honeybees pollinate a lot of crops so they are important to the farmers. Honeybees are raised to assist the farming communities but the hives are mostly empty except for a few dead bees. Tests on the dead bees indicate that they have lost their immune systems. Not a good thing for the farmers, not a good thing for the food supply and not a good thing for ethanol production.

The other question I have is why so many people think that it is up to the oil companies to find the solution. They sold oil, we bought it, they donít owe us anything. It would be in their best interests to find a solution if they want to remain in business but they donít owe it to anybody but their stockholders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Veteran

That is a good article. Attached is a text file I downloaded from somewhere. I do not know where a got this and I make no claims as to its correctness, all I can say is I have yet to find it wrong. It goes into the different properties of different fuels and explains why some have problems in internal combustion engines, as well as the properties of standard gasoline.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 1557147-gas.doc (232.8 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode