DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY AND GOT STRANDED!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY AND GOT STRANDED!!!

left charleston sc this morning at 7 am. i drove for 6 hours and then the jeep started stubbling, like it wasnt gettting any gas. i let it sit for a few minutes and then it starts right up and i drive another 20 miles and it does it again. the obd codes said that the map sensor or the tps sensor were not functioning properly. so a very nice gentleman drove me down the auto zone where i replaced bith the map and tps sensors in the parking lot. it drove great for another 30 miles and it did it again. i am now stuck in bremen georgia. i had three mechanics look at it today and they could not find what was wrong with it. i am taking back to them tommrorow and untill they find out what is wrong with it i am stuck here. anybody know if it is something simple or could it be the fuel pump or that sensor thats in the bell housing, cant remeber what that one os called. what would cause this guys, i need help fast. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY AND GOT STRANDED!!!

See....you should have collected phone #'s of guys along the way.....

Ok...bellhousing sensor you refer to is the CPS..crankshaft pos sensor...I doubt it is the issue....

Almost seems to be temp related or voltage. Have you measured your voltage at the battery? Because the OBD is complaining about 2 sensors, you want to start looking at what is common...and voltage is one of them.

Have you tried cleaning all of you connections?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

well the connections all look good. after i replaced the map and tps sensor i had the mechanic clear the codes from the computer. the problem is still there and the codes for the tps and the map are gone so i know they are not to blame. i just read this on a jeep site on googel it reads " My friend has a 97 TJ Sahara... he's been having a problem where during long highway trips.. usually around 10-15 miles of 70mph driving.. the engine begins to stumble... if u keep the accelerator steady, the engine still hesitates.. and occasionally stalls. Once we let the jeep sit for 15-20 mins the prob seems to go away for awhile but comes back. I was thinking that it was some sort of fuel system prob. He took it to a dealer and they checked pressure and it was ok... so i was going to change the fuel filter... thinking that might be the problem. Thing is, on TJ's i guess the filter is part of the pressure regulator, and no autozones/advanced carry the part... apparently you have to purchase a whole new fuel unit including pump for like $300..
Do you think im right about swapping the fuel filter as a possible solution? If so , is there an easier/cheaper way then buying and installing a whole new unit?"

does this sound like it could be it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM

If it was a fuel pump issue, then when you stomp on the gas it would feel like it ran out of gas....if that is not the case, then it's not the filter.....

I'm still thinking heat related.....are you sure your vacuum lines are ok?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

are you talking about stomping on the gas at anytime or stomping on the gas when it starts to stubble and give us trouble, cuz everything would be running fine and then it would start to stumble and sputter and we would hit the gas and it would just act like it has no gas or like it is out of gas although we have plenty of gas in the tank.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Then it could be a fuel problem....how many miles on the jeep?

it could also be the fuel pump....after it warms up it starts to fail...

Start it up and let it idle for 20 min....the fuel pump runs the same whether it's idle of 65 mph...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i cracked 159 thousand miles today. the machanic siad it might be the maganetic thing im the distrubutor. i watched him check it but it looked ok to me. today the mechanic hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and we ran the rengine at idle for about 15 to 20 minutes and nothing happened. he sugested that we might have water in the gas tank, so he put in fuel system cleaner, then another guy said it might be the cat but when we are sitting at idle and rev the engine it doesnt seem like the exhaust is clogged at all. it seems to breath nicely. i am really at a loss here with what to check next. this really isnt cool!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM

pm a phone # to me and I'll call you...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i sent a pm of my number to you. dont know if it worked though cuz i have no reciept of it in the sent pm's box in my home.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

This is a long shot but it did happen to my father in-law once with an older AMC. The car would run fine until it heated up, then it would stall out as you described. Let it cool off, all was fine, no problem starting it again. No mechanic could figure it out.

It turned out that the wire from the coil to the distributor was bad. It had a small break in the core that was not a problem when it was cold, but once it heated up the material would expand and the gap in the wire enlarged to the point that it would not continue to pass electricity. I am not saying that it in your case it is the coil wire, but it could be something like that, even a wire to the fuel pump. Fine when itís cold but expands to the point that the connection is lost when it heats up.

Just a thought.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode