another what should i do with jeep $ ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

another what should i do with jeep $ ?

So...

I posted this question about 4 months ago...still thinking...

I've got a mid 80's CJ7 with the 258, MC2100, TFI...about 3-4 inches of lift and 33s" fiberglass tub...I've got a winch waiting to be put on...

I've got $1100...had a few glitches from the $1800 such as a new wiring kit...

I'm going with an add on cage tied into the frame at $340-ish...

What else should I do? Leaves about $700..Things I'd like to do though i don't think i'll get it all in...

Getting a new power steering box mount as mine is cracked...though i could probably just weld the crack up...it'll hold fer awhile...
a cb...
1 piece shafts for the AMC 20, regear (at 2.73 now)...do I truss it...
Dual batteries for the winch...
OBA...
4.0 head swap...if doing that i'd probably want to do some other work in there while its mostly apart...
On board welder/"ready welder...leaning toward the readywelder...
synthetic line on the winch
fire extinguisher
tuffy set up for cb and other stuff...

I've got a mechanic friend who is great about working with me rather than for me...the jeeps been in his shop since Aug...has cost me $300 so far in parts for TFI and help putting in a centech kit...

Can any help prioritize again?

Thanks for any feedback or any ideas for other projects to do instead...

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: another what should i do with jeep $ ?

In order of priority....
Axle - it will take all of the remaining money....with 33's, you want at least 4.10 gears...good time for that locker too...and a big yes on the solid axles....it's not pretty if you spin the old splined shaft.

As for trussing the AMC20....don't bother buying one of those bolt on kits....they are worthless...all look, no function...in fact, they make it worse...they pull in the wrong direction.

And don't forget, if you change the rear gears, you have to do the front as well. FYI...3:73 is the change over point for carriers...hence, it's a good time to put in a locker in the front as well...if you have locking hubs, the a detroit upfront is great...a cheaper option would be the Detroit Tru-Track (limited slip)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One - piece is nice, I like my setup, the warn full-floaters. Though it depends on what you want. If you are doing the axles, IMHO, if I was to do it all over again, I would just get a different setup, not the d30/amc20 combo. I would get the axles you want to upgrade to, get the lockers you want, get the gears, setup the axles to bolt on (as much as you can with them off the vehicle) and drop the set at a reputable shop, get a reciept for all the parts and ask them how much of a discount can you get if you give them time to do it (say, within the next 2 mos). Meanwhile work on other areas of the Jeep. When they are done, just drop them in and sell your old axles.
Some good places for prices:
Gears, lockers, etc: www.dc4wd.com
Solenoid for 2 batteries and made 2 order cables www.mechman.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thor raises a good point.....The AMC 20 is a good axle....but if I had it to do again, I think I would got with a Ford 9"...I really like the idea of being able to pull out the pumpkin without removing the whole axle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Spend the $$ to go wheeling and decide where you need to improve your rig. I know many times my plans for my rig changes after I've spent a couple days in the woods with it. If you go to McCaslin let me know, i might head on down for the weekend. Also we think our spring opener is April 7th, one of our buddies always comes up from the madison area and would probably shoot you some gas $$ for a ride up, we have couches here to crash on.

I don't know how you guys do it wheeling only a couple times a year. I'd go nuts. I'd rather have a semi built rig with some almost free spare parts in the back incase the weak parts break then a built to the hilt rig that I could only afford to wheel a couple times a year because I spent so much $$ building it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode