Way O/T Is 35 too old to start 2nd career? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Way O/T Is 35 too old to start 2nd career?

Has anybody on this board ever decided that they just wanted to do something different to make a living? I will be 36 in June and am currently a video editor/shooter. I actually got a bachelors degree from Ball State University to do this. Not sure why though. A trained monkey could do what I do. The job is okay. I don't hate it but I don't love it. And the pay is pretty weak. I have been kicking around looking for something totally different for a few years now. I just woke up one day last week and realized that I have to take control of my own happiness. I am not getting any younger, so I started thinking about what I might be interested in. I have always enjoyed electricity and have done some home wiring including running the line for my buzz box welder last year. I really enjoyed it and didn't die or burn down the house. So I am thinking about talking to an electrician friend of mine about some training. Nothing set in stone, just looking around.

So, am I too old to do this? Should I just stay on the path I have been on? Should I explore some unchartered territory? I have a wife and 3 year old daughter to provide for. And, my wife has just started an 18 month grad school course. I am looking for advice from anybody, but especially from someone who has been through a mid life career change. Or someone who is in the trades.

A few weeks ago I read this and it hit me pretty hard:

If you always do
as you have always done,
you will always be
where you have always been.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Way O/T Is 35 too old to start 2nd career?

I don't think you're ever too old to change it. If you want it, go for it. Set your mind to it and do it the best you can. I'm 32 (2 kids and one in the oven) and have been pondering the same question for some time now. Just haven't figured out what it is I want to do, or how to go about it while being the biggger bread winner in the house.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Too old? At 35? H-E-double-hockey-sticks-no! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]

As I see it, you're NEVER too old to change careers as long as you meet two criteria:

1) You like what you're switching to, and

2) You have your responsibilities covered.

Being just a young fellow, you must have the means to provide for your family until you become productive. That's the only solid obstacle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If your current salary is already low, you aren't risking anything starting over at a new, potentially better, job. At 36, you should be looking at long-term benefits like retirement, 401K, insurance, etc. In my area, there are some government contractors who offer all those things but I'm too old to think about a fresh start, I'm looking at retirement in about 5-6 years. Don't stay in a job you don't like. If you wake up in the morning dreading going to work, you need to make a change.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Kudos to you for waking up and realizing that you need to take care of #1...otherwise, #1 can't take care of the rest of the family......

At 35, you're at a good age to change....I can understand why you like doing house electrical....I enjoy it too...but not enough to make a living at it.....it can be a well paying job but you need to understand that you don't get to work in a nice warm building all the time and as you get older, it gets harder....

But there is something else to consider...your wife is going to grad school...you need stable income in order to support her while she is in school....that is the least you can do...with the hope that afterwards she gets a great paying job and can support you. You also need to make sure you have your head screwed on straight once she gets her masters/phd...some guys have hard time dealing with the fact that their wife makes more and/or has a higher status job....this applies to some wifes as well. Make this a family issue and sit down and talk to her about it....a good wife will understand the need to have job satisfaction.

A path to consider....try out the electrician business part time...if you really like it go to a trade school and learn more...get your contractors license...start your own business....

If you don't mind me asking....what is your wife getting her graduate degree in?

BTW...you do know what BS, MS and PHD really mean don't you?
BS = Bull Sh*t
MS = More Sh*t
PHD = Pilled Higher and Deeper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I thought PHD was Painting Houses and Decorating!

My wife (Annie) was an elementary school art teacher until she had our daughter 3 years ago. Since then she has kept several part time positions to be able to be home with our daughter at least part of the day. She currently teaches elementary art 3 half days a week, teaches art classes every Saturday at the South Bend Regional Museum of Art, teaches art out of our home for home-schooled children (one day a week), and co-teaches a class at Saint Mary's College on Tuesday evenings. She does not really like the 3 day a week elementary art teacher gig, but really enjoys the Saint Mary's job. Her boss at the college told her that there is more work for her if she would only get her master's degree (in education). Then she could teach a class on her own which means she would not have to split the money. (She already does most of the work, but needs the other teacher because he has a master's degree!) She would like to stay part time, but figures at Saint Mary's she could put in the same amout of hours per week as she does now, and get more money, better benefits, and possibly a college education for our daughter. I am fine with that!

I also am fine with her having a better job than me, as she always has. I do feel a little inferior around her, but that only because she is so great. I am used to it by now.

I don't dread going to work in the morning. I just am not sure that this is what I want to be when I grow up. In addition to somewhat low pay, my job also has no 401K and cruddy insurance. However, I do get 3 weeks of vacation a year (and that rolls over if I don't use it all), a very flexible schedule, friendly environment, and it is not very physically demanding. I seldom travel and, I hardly ever work weekends.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Way Outta Control

You are never too old!

When you really enjoy what you are doing you get good at it - and you'll be successful at it.

And, most importantly, you'll enjoy the short life you have! Don't waste it on things you don't enjoy!

Make every day count!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Pooh-Bah

With your video and editing background, do you do wedding work? I know of people making a ton of money working 2 weekends a month.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Official Curmudgeon

You are not too old to change jobs BUT at your age, you may find a lot of closed doors in the field that you are thinking about.

To be a REAL electrician, you have to serve a 4-year apprenticeship. This means that you have to find somebody willing to invest in you. Apprentices donít make much money. Apprentices are the grunts for the first few years. Apprentices dig the ditches, run the conduit and pull the wire, the electrician makes the connections.

To make the REAL money, you almost have to be a union electrician. You can find work as a non-union electrician but it doesnít pay that well. You could find yourself spending the rest of your life changing light bulbs.

I was your age when I quit being an electrician and moved into engineering.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW...you do know what BS, MS and PHD really mean don't you?
BS = Bull Sh*t
MS = More Sh*t
PHD = Pilled Higher and Deeper

[/ QUOTE ]
What it REALLY means is that a person holding one of these degrees is capable of learning and has likely already learned lifeís most important lesson.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

I heard the average person changes jobs 7 times during their life. Remember ...."the only thing stopping you ...is you". Best wishes on your new career. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode