2000 wrangler gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 AM
kamperk

2000 wrangler gas mileage

Hello, I recently purchaced a 2000 jeep tj, 2.5 litre, 5 speed.

Ive found my gas mileage to be around 15 mpg while driving conservatively, which seems pretty low for a 2.5 litre engine.

I am wondering what do you think could be wrong with the engine.

And if I am getting normal gas mileage, what mods do u think would improve the gas mileage and by how much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:23 AM
rangerdoug

Re: 2000 wrangler gas mileage

Sounds about right. Mine gets around 15-16 for most driving. Gets around 18-19 if all I do is highway driving.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Veteran

I know what's wrong with your engine. It needs 2 more cylinders! All kidding aside, that mileage sounds about right. Keep in mind that a Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a brick, weighs a considerable amount, and has the front drivetrain always creating some amount of drag. The result is cruddy mileage. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 AM
kamperk

how much do you think a cold air intake would improve the gas mileage by
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

3%-5%

Do the math. It would take years and many thousands of miles to pay off the CAI. There is nothing you can bolt on to your engine that will give it more power or better mileage that will ever pay for itself. Motors get the mileage they get.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Veteran

How much driving do you do? I only put about 20 miles on my Jeep each day, so the mileage isn't that important to me. Now, if I were commuting further and putting 40 or 50 miles on a day, I might get a nice Honda Civic or something. I don't think a cold air intake will so much for your mileage. Driving carefully and keeping up with maintenance is the best way to keep your mileage from dropping.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Old Hand

I have a '99 with the same setup and just cheked the milage...15-16 is what I am getting. That is all around town rairly hitting 5th.
Its disapointing cuz my 80 with a 2.5 4speed gets 18-20mpg!!!
Unfortunaltly I have also found that there is little that you can do to improve mpg. remember if you increase air into the engine (cold air and high flow filters) you need to improve exhost...unfortuantly all that Ive read says that if you remove the back pressure that the stock exhost provides you actually make the engine run worse.
Here is my advice: keep it tuned up, run recommended octane gas.check tire pressure, and the hardest...cut back on the driving. Only go when you have to and combined the trips it dosen't improve mpg but it saves gas!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 PM

If you want better gas mileage, buy a cj! I consistantly got 19-21 mpg out of my cj7 w/ a fresh 258, t-4, and 2.73s w/ stock tires. However i was driving very conservatively, (especially for a 16 year old). But seriously, 15 mpg is pretty pathetic, i would think DC could do better than that.
When i put on a lift, tires. lockers, gears and rollover damage my mpgs went out the window. So i bought a 1988 civic for $450, put about $400 in parts in it, and i have put over 70,000 miles on it in 3 years. it gets 42 mpg so my cost per mile w/ the civic is way cheaper than my jeep.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

The mileage sounds spot on wait until you put big tires and the fun stuff on it's pretty bad when my 89 Suburban got better gas mileage than my 97 TJ.
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing you can bolt on to your engine that will give it more power or better mileage that will ever pay for itself

[/ QUOTE ] This I disagree with, swapping a throttle body from a 4.0L gives you a seat of your pants change on power and can be found between $25-40. Although I have no idea what it did to my gas mileage, but I did get 5th gear back. The only way I know for sure to greatly increase the gas mileage of a Jeep is to load the vehicle onto a trailer, turn the key to the off position, tighten your straps and tow it where ever you go, unbelievable gas mileage on the Jeep.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]
John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Enthusiast

Stock the 4 bangers come with 4.10 gears in the pumpkins, thus the mileage between the stock 6 and the 4 tend to be the same, 15-16 mpg.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode