need help fast - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

need help fast

i am leaving on monday so i decided to clean the jeep up. i had gone wheeling a few weeks before and wanted to hose down the engine compartment of the jeep and clean all the mud and dirt out. i hosed it down and sprayed high pressure water all over th engine. it had seemed to be running just fine a few hours after i washed it, and it ran great on the way to work this morning. but when i went out to go to lunch it started ideling at 1500 rpms? i truned it off and on again and it still hasnt gona away, it idles up then down and then up and then down and then it stays idleing up at 1500 rpms. what the heck is wrong with this thing? did i fry a sensor or somthing? i need to have this resovled quickly, i hit the road for the west coast on mondya morning. thanksk for your help guys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: need help fast

This is a good example of why you need to fill out your profile.....

What YEAR jeep do you have? One can 'assume' that it's fuel injected....

If so, don't sweat it. Take a screwdriver, rag, and a compressed air source and go through ALL of the connections on the engine.

Remove the dist cap and dry out the inside.
If it's fuel injected, pull all the connectors apart (one at a time) and dry them out.

The idle issue could be water in the TPS connector on the intake....or maybe even in the TPS sensor itself.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

it is a 97 tj 4.0. if it is the tps should i just unbolt the tpsand wipe it down. on the intake side and the bell housing side? if i keep driving it wont it eventually jsut dry itself out and fix itself? is this somthing that can really affect my trip if it doesnt get fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM

Water has ruined some throttle position sensors. Not wanting you to jump to conclusions, use process of eliminatio but you may end up replacing it. Are you good at troubleshooting electronics? Typically there is 5v in, and a varying voltage out, varying with the throttle position. If its not reading right, it could really affect things. Its there for a purpose.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

well would it help to unplug the tps and then blow air into the pllug to dry it out? i am jsut gonna leave and pray that the jeep makes the 3600 mile drive. man i wish there was gonna be a race at the motor speedway in veagas when im gonna be there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Way Outta Control

Ryan, there's only one cure... REPLACE THE TPS Sensor. THERE IS NO WORK AROUND... THE TPS IS TOAST. YOU'LL HAVE TO BUY A NEW ONE!

NO, THE JEEP WON'T MAKE 3600 MILES without it... it may not make 360 miles without it.

Do yourself a favor... and swap out that sensor and don't look back.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

well if the tps was bad would it show up on a trouble code? i checked the trouble codes and none showed.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well if the tps was bad would it show up on a trouble code?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It won't necessarily show a trouble code. Replace it. It's neither difficult nor expensive.

It's job is to send a voltage back to the computer that varies in proportion to the throttle opening. When the TPS gets contaminated inside, it will still send back a varying voltage, so the computer thinks it's fine. But the voltage is no longer related properly to throttle position. The computer matches the amount of fuel to the voltage it sees, but that's not appropriate for the true throttle opening.

If you don't correct the problem you could destroy the catalyst from too much fuel, or burn a piston from too little. Or both.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

ok so heres what i am gonan do. i am gonna go and buy a new one tommorow, 47 dollars at auto zone. i sprayed all of the wiring and harnesses under the hood with wd-40 to suck up moisture. if it turns out to not be the tps then what else might it be? also do you guys think ill get naymore power out of the engine or increased fuel milage? thansk for the help guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Way Outta Control

There is a possibility that the Idle Speed Control Motor (ISCM) is bad.. but I'm still bettin' on the TPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode