Woo hoo! No more emission tests! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Woo hoo! No more emission tests!

The Illinois EPA is doing away with emission testing for vehicles built before 1996. The reasoning is that they're maintaining expensive exhaust analyzers and chassis dynamometers to test a dwindling number of vehicles. For newer cars they just plug into the OBD II and read the computer memory.

That means that I can now tune the Jeep for better mileage. In the distant past it has gotten 18MPG on the highway, but with the ignition advance set for low emissions it only gets around 14.

And before someone jumps me about social responsibility and polluting the air, I'll point out that my Jeep typically is driven a thousand miles a year or less. Considering the pollution not created by extracting, refining, shipping and dispensing additional gasoline, the contribution of airborn pollutants will be insignificant.

Anybody want a used chassis dyno, cheap? There should be a bunch of them on the market soon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Woo hoo! No more emission tests!

Isn't burning less fuel a big advantage?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't burning less fuel a big advantage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it would be a big advantage if the Jeep were my daily driver. Since I put so few miles on it the savings will be about one tank of gas a year. But it will be handy to get another 20 or 30 miles out of a tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

I thought you were going to say that you were never making those pickled eggs again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Man I wish Massachusetts would do that -- Not that it's a huge pain getting my 88 through every 2 years, but I'd just rather concentrate on the safety of it, and not have to worry so much about all that other crap. Like one year my EGR valve was stuck, and she ran a high NOx. Get a new valve, put it on, bring it back..... it's a pita. And now that it's mostly just a trail vehicle, it sits a lot, doesn't get used, things stick, etc.

That's great Jim, you're lucky.

I seriously doubt that MassaCaliforniachusetts will do that anytime soon.

Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that MassaCaliforniachusetts will do that anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet they will, Pete. Some braniac politico will realize that the money they're spending to maintain the equipment to test a few thousand vehicles could be used instead to build a homeless shelter. Or buy some Scotch for Teddy.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were going to say that you were never making those pickled eggs again.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of fact I have a couple dozen of them curing now, and plan to bring four dozen to the bash. And five gallons of chili. Along with some [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img], that will make great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Washington State only test in the larger cities every other year you renew your tabs. If you are a state representative or senator, you can actually have the line that denotes who has to be tested drawn across the street from your house so you donít have to partake in the pleasure. (Yea Iím sore about that one.) The only good news is that once a vehicle is 25 years old, it becomes exempt. It was a real drag only being able to license my 78 CJ5 every other year.

Kriss

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Journeyman

Yeah, My 77 is probably legal in all 50 states, even without the catalytic converters. I hear propane has nearly 0 emissions. Anyone with first hand knowledge on doing a propane conversion?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Thompson Gas in Belleville used to do them, and I think Hearthside did also. Don't know if they still do.

When we going wheeling?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 PM
rsgallo

My brother has it on his 49 Willys. It is a farm Jeep and sits a lot. Starts and runs like a dream. Crankcase oil stays very clean. Bit of a drag finding/filling tanks. Don't know how many times we've run out of gas in the woods. HOWEVER, not as much energy content in propane. You probably lose 20% power vs gasoline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode