AMC 304 Timing Chain Oiler Mod Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

AMC 304 Timing Chain Oiler Mod Question

I am attemping to do the infamous CJ Dave timing chain oiler modification to the timing cover. I do have all the ending parts made-no sweat. So now I am trying to cut and shape the 1/4" copper line to connect the two fittings. I cannot get the top end bent sharp enough (tight 90 degree) to clear the OBA bracket for the compressor. I am thinking of trying nylon line and seeing if it will hold up to the heat. Of course I forsee it blowing while at highway speeds and this causing my mouth to spit bad words. Timing chains are much cheaper than engine overhauls!!

Anyone else solved this? Any way to make a tighter bend than using a tubing bender?

Thanks, Brhino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Re: AMC 304 Timing Chain Oiler Mod Question

How "tight" does the bend need to be? You can get tubing benders at most auto parts stores and hardware stores. You could also look for a spring bender. These are simply a spring that has the same I.D. as the tube O.D. your bending. These allow you to bend a tight radius without kinking the tube. Home depot and Lowes would carry these also and would be less expensive than the bender.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 AM

If you need a really tight bend, cut the tube and put in a compression elbow. And consider soldering the tube in to the elbow for added security. I'm not a big fan of compression fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

The easiest way if you have the cover off is to take one of the oil galley plugs out and drill a small hole in it. No external leakage and a nice spray all over the dist/oil pump gear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM

Could somebody clue me in as to where the oil galley plugs are, and what do they look like? I'd like to do that to my 304 when I get ready to put it in. Are they behind the upper timing gear, cause I've got my timing cover off, and all I see is the chain and 2 gears? Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Can't get an elbow to turn, it hits the side of the cover where a bolt goes through. It has to be a straight fitting in the hole. It is a compression fitting which I am not a huge fan of either. I might just keep trying to get this to work. I need about a 3/4" radius on the bend to clear that bracket. Rats!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I jnow about this trick but I chose the external because you can pull it out and see/clear it if something plugs it up. I might have to resort to the interior mod-it would squirt a lot more oil. I have two holes to plug now if I did that-one on the fitting for the pressure gauge and one in the timing chain cover. The gallery plugs are an easy way to just be done with it though. Good thought maybe I should quite being anal.
Brhino
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 AM

OK, here's how to make the bend: Solder. Take a piece of tube a few inches longer than you need and melt it full of solder. As soon as it's cool enough to handle, make the bend. Clamp a bolt in a vice, lay the tube over the bolt and thump it around with a rubber mallet. When you get the curve you need, melt the solder out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

The galley plugs are behind the camshaft gear. Rotate the engine and look through the holes in the cam gear. They usually have an allen wrench hole to remove them. Take one out and drill a small hole in it. 1/16 will be big enough.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Sounds great-I knew there had to be a trick!
Thanks a million. Brhino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode