Flat Leafsprings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Flat Leafsprings

Hello everyone, got a question about the springs on my CJ7.
For a while now they have been pretty much flat, and I was wondering if an Add-A-Leaf set with shocks included would get me back to a decent ride and better traction, or should I just go ahead and order a new set of leaf springs and be done with it? There ain't a lot of arch left in them, and it rides like a wagon! And if anybody has any suggestions to a particular brand and setup, please let me know. Also, how do I measure correct shackle length, because I would like to raise it a tad over stock, to get more clearance over the 33/12.50's I'm running, they've been rubbing a little lately since the springs are getting weak, in the woods when wheeling. I'd like to order some of the heavy welded shackles I've seen in Quadratec, or something of that nature. Any help would be welcome, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Re: Flat Leafsprings

Add a leaf will make it ride even rougher. I have the cheap rancho leaf spring packs and they ride rough as well, as they have a very high spring rate, few leafs, each one thick. Only the lower spring rate higher priced leaf packs ride well and lift.

As for shackle lift, I would only go slightly longer than stock, say 1". Each inch of longer shackle gives you 1/2" of lift, but it creates its own problems, like losing castor on the front end, and adding leverage to the side force on the shackle mounts. Keep it conservative.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Iím with TiminMb. Stay away from shackle lifts as they put additional force on your spring hangers. Get a quality lift kit and replace the tired springs.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

33" tires? You really need more than a 'tad lift'.
I suspect that your springs are ok and the real problem is the 33" tires. That size tire really needs about 3"+ of lift to not rub.

What it boils down to is....if you want to keep a good ride and get some lift, it will cost money. Cheap lifts are 'cheap'. A good set of National or Old Man EMU are going to cost at least $1000. Spending less will only kill your kidneys. The other option is to go with smaller tires.

If you are running 33's, did you change out your gears? With 33" tires you should at least be running 4.10 gears.

If you really want to clear those 33's and keep a good ride, I would suggest an SOA (Spring Over Axle) using stock Wrangler springs. That will give you about 5.5" of lift and still keep a soft ride....but doing an SOA is not a weekend task for the part time wrencher...some welding is required and you will need a new CV driveshaft, longer shocks, and longer brake lines.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM

Everyone's on the same page about the add-a-leafs so I won't beat the horse any more. DDAWG16 is right on about spending some money on a good 4" lift kit. Or, the spring over, in my opinion is really the best option for a good street ride and optimal performance offroad. I am partial, as my 84 CJ7 has a spring over. The SOA is certainly not something to do in your driveway, although many have. FYI, At the shop I work at, the cost for a SOA is averaging $2k-$2,500 parts and labor including a shackle reversal in the front.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I've looked thru the Quadratec magazine, and I've got thought's going thru my head about either the lift idea, or the SOA. Seems like SOA is the better, but the lift may be a few bucks cheaper? Am I right, cause don't you have to buy the CV driveshaft and longer brake lines and a few more piece's to do the SOA? Not sure, that's why I've got the question's. Thank's for any reply.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What it cost me to do my SOA
Almost new Wrangler springs $80
Perches $50
Longer brake lines $75
Longer Shocks $100
CV Driveshaft $275
New Front spring hangers $25
Misc parts $25

About the only way you are going to avoid most of the above costs is to keep you lift to 3" or less.....up to about 3", driveline vibration is usually not a serious issue.

But your shocks are going to be borderline....and as noted before, unless you spend a lot of money, the springs are going to be stiff. The problem with springs is that it's a lot like computer monitors....you can's spend a few bucks after the fact to upgrade...you have to replace.

If you want 33's, 3" lift will be marginal.

I wish I had listened to some close friends....they said wait until you know what you really want and then do it....I would not have ended up wasting money on shackles, then cheap spring before I finally did the SOA.

Trust me....SOA
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Another option is to replace the springs with some fresh ones and modify the body to clear those tires.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 PM

Here's my thaughts. First off if you are asking about add a leafs a spring over isn't for you and really isn't necessary for most jeepers. If you havn't wheeled much or been around "built rigs" get on the trail with a local club, look at their rigs and see what works and what doesn't work in your area. I think it's best to get some trail miles under your rig before spending any major amounts of $$ on your rig. I know if I had lots of $$ and a quadratec catalong when I first got into wheeling i'd have a rig that didn't work very well and would have been a major waste of $$.

My parents have 1.5" super lift springs on their yj with cheap procomp shocks and .5" lift greasable shackles. It rides really well for a $410 lift with shocks. National tire and wheel www.ntwonline.com sells the superlift springs as their suspension speical.

I say go with either a low lift spring 1.5-2.5" springs or tj flares, .5" shackles, and a 1" body lift. Rubicon express, BDS, and super lift all sell decent cheaper lift kits then the ones mentioned above. You don't have to spend huge amounts of $$ and dome very involved mods to have a decent wheeler.

You can get by with stock gears, I wheeled with 35's and 3.08 gears for a seaon. It wasn't the best combo but it worked and got me out on the trail. Do the lift/ tires now and when you have the $$ decide what you want to do about gears/ further jeep mods.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Oh yeah measuring shackle length you mesure from center of bolt to center of bolt. If you have a 4" shackle right now and go with a 5" long shackle it will only give you 1/2" of lift becasue you are only lifting 1/2 the spring. I ran 4" center to center on the front and 6" center to center on the rear of my buggy and they worked well. There's a lot more then bolting on a set of leaf springs and longer shackles to make a suspension work really really well but you probably arn't going to bolt it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode