Questions for anyone who put PS in 75 or older CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Questions for anyone who put PS in 75 or older CJ5

Okay, so I finally have a power steering column- shoutout to Ricky- and I'm trying to see how to install in it my 75. With the mounting bracket that comes with it, it will sit below the dash. So, I took that off and it fits fine in the dash where the old one was, but there isn't a good way to mount the sucker.

I managed to get the mounting plate off of the old column (feels kinda silly calling a pipe a column)and I was figuring that I could widen the hole in it to fit on the new column.

I also see that flaming river and ididit make a mount, but it would still have the column a little lower than I'd like it from the looks of it.

Also, should the end of the column go out the firewall on the flat part or the angled part? I have a fiberglass tub, so I'm not sure if its the same as stock. It angles back about halfway down the firewall.

If this makes no sense, I can try and get some pictures of everything.

Thanks guys

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 PM

Re: Questions for anyone who put PS in 75 or older

Does this help? It's a '78, but it shows the approximate elevation you want for a forward-mounted steering box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1555248-DSCN1747w.JPG (411.9 KB, 6 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the picture. When I put the glass tub on, we cut everything based off of the old tub, and I see some differences between what I have and that picture. The current hole for the steering is right next to the clutch rod, so I guess I'll have to bring that up, which makes sense since it will level out the column a bit where it mounts to the dash.

I was thinking of getting the ididit or flaming river mount below, and inverting it, so that the column would be in the dash, rather than below it.
Ididit mount

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:46 PM

That ididit bracket mounted under the instrument panel would make the wheel WAY too low unless the column passed through the firewall much lower.

This shows about where it comes through in the later setup. The cutout has to be that big to allow the mounting ears on the column to pass through. It's covered be a black flexible plastic piece that has a slit on the bottom to allow it to pop over the column.

The ears on the column bolt to the pedal mount bracket assembly. The bracket bolts to the firewall and is braced by the bottom of the instrument panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1555255-PICT0866w.JPG (294.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode