More 700r4 tech questions, mods, shifters... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

More 700r4 tech questions, mods, shifters...

I know this isn't jeep tech but there are a fair amount of people running them. I've got one in the new wheeler. I ahve no clue on history of it. I'm not sure if I'm going to like an auto and I'm on a budget and I don't want to put a lot of $$ into it but I want it to hold up.

I'm thinking of droping the pan to change the fluid/ filter and see how much junk is in it. For mods i'm thinking of putting in a transgo shift kit because it's pretty cheap, a big extra cooler, temp gauge and that's it.

For shifters I know I don't want a ratchet shifter, i've never been able to figure them out. The blazer needs a shifter because the colum shifter is broken, you have to twist part of the colum to shift. I had a B&M pro stick for my yj, never actually shifted it but it was cool sitting on my kitchen table. I know you can grind the gates for easy drive/ reverse shifts.

Any other 700r4 cheap tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: More 700r4 tech questions, mods, shifters...

I have the 4L60E behind my SBC....it's the electronic version of the 700R...

The 700R evolved to replace the TH350 and 400. Some people may disagree, but the general censuses is that the 700R is as strong if not stronger than the old TH400. The early versions had some problems....but by about 1988 I believe they were worked out.

Considering that GM uses the tranny in all rear wheel drive vehicles including light and medium duty trucks....they must have a lot of faith in it. I know they held up well in police car....I never had any tranny problems and we dog the crap out of our cars.....

I agree with dropping the pan, looking for trash and changing the fluid and filter....but, I would not bother with a shift kit...you are already going to have the problem with the fact that your jeep is lighter than what it is used to...and depending on what gears you have, your shift points may not be where you want them. A shift kit may only make it seem worse and will not do anything to extend the life of the tranny.

Yes...do the tranny cooler...the cooler you keep it, the longer it will last. The gauge is a good addition to make sure your not killing it when you have those long slow climbs up a hill.

As for shifters...you have two choices...mechanical or cable. My shifter is a cable shifte from a 99 corvette. Real compact.

You are going to love it....I do not miss driving the stick....especially here in LA...where I really like it is on the hills...you know the kind where one gear is too low, bu the moment you try to upshift, you come to a stop...what I like even more is that I can enter the fwy and drink my coffee at the same time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
I would not bother with a shift kit...you are already going to have the problem with the fact that your jeep is lighter than what it is used to...and depending on what gears you have, your shift points may not be where you want them. A shift kit may only make it seem worse and will not do anything to extend the life of the tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm building an s10 blazer and it's the stock trans in the blazer with the stock motor. I doubt i'll be lighter then stock with a boxed frame, skid plate, cage, sliders, ect. I'm guessing even with getting rid of some stock weight and trying to build things light i'll still be a couple hundred pounds over stock. I really don't want to re-build the trans yet, i have another "junk yard" trans that came out of a running/ driving rig to put in if this one dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Official Historian

[ QUOTE ]
Some people may disagree, but the general censuses is that the 700R is as strong if not stronger than the old TH400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will disagree. The 700 is closely related to the 350 in parts and strength. The 4L80 is the evolution of the 400 to overdrive.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to agree with Will unless by medium duty you mean light duty 3/4 tons...

I guess some 3/4 ton trucks and vans in the 80's did have the 700 though the 4L80 replaced them. I'm pretty sure you couldn't get a dually (which I'm pretty sure is still considered a light duty) with 700r4.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Considering I just had a 700r die on my I may be a little biased. My understanding is 4L60E although it is the electronic version is a much better trans especially when it comes to repair problem. The 700r if something is wrong with the trans it's likely internal with 4L60E there are solenoids that are not internal that can be replaced with a fair amount of ease. But like you said alot of people do run them, I've seen them behind LT1s and that's rather impresive. But now that I've been stung I would save your pennys for a replacement.
[ QUOTE ]
when you have those long slow climbs up a hill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Long and slow are we talking about the same Andy?
I do agree though I would wait on the install of a shift kit until you get out and see how you like it as it sits.
If you want to stay with the coloumn shift I think I know where there's a coloumn laying around, if you want I can check.
John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 AM

I stand corrected on a few points....
Here is some info from Novak on the TH400 and the 700R/4L60E
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The early versions had some problems....but by about 1988 I believe they were worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The 700R4 came about at the same time as the new body style for GM (87). Their weekpoint is their overdrive. The OD is not a standard stack of clutch packs, but a band style. If you towed or hauled any load in OD you burned up your 700R4... it's that simple. Once they went electronic (4L60E) they got better, but only becaus the shift points were more precise and better controlled (less heat). Since going electronic the same basic tranny has gone through several small changes. I stopped paying attention to them after about 1998, but GM owners with anything from light trucks to S-10 Blazers and Jimmy's continued to have tranny troubles through 2000.

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that GM uses the tranny in all rear wheel drive vehicles including light and medium duty trucks....they must have a lot of faith in it. I know they held up well in police car....I never had any tranny problems and we dog the crap out of our cars.....

[/ QUOTE ]

GM never put the 700R4 or 4L60E into any medium duty trucks. The larger and much better pulling 4L80E was put into service for them. As far as police cars go... we service our transmissions every 25K to try and keep failures down. Went through tons of GM trannys and we still go through Ford trannys if we run them much past 70k.

Not trying to come down on you Dawg... but the reality is that the 700R4 has a huge flaw. Most Jeepers probably won't be affected by it, but they must be aware of it. I do speak from experince as an ASE tech at our GMC truck dealership from 1990-1996. I couldn't even try to guess how many 700R4's and 4L60E's I swapped. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode